Broken Rod return

• Thread starter JakesLeakyWaders
  • Start date
JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Forgot to post about it but I broke fly rod of mine on opening day. Tossed it in the pass. seat, up against the backrest and as I was shutting the door it slipped off the back rest and out the rear door just as it were shutting. It made me sick. Luckily I brought 2 rods and was able to fish another spot. Went into Bass Pro and they told me to bring it in, no receipt, and they would replace it, no questions, so that earns them some points in my book. It was my 7' 5 weight that I like for small streams. It's short but it will throw some heavy stuff and that's why I like it. I'm so relieved, because I didn't want to have to fish with a 6' 6" 5 weight. It is my shortest rod and I like it the length I bought it.

some points-lol

yeah my first fly rod was from Dicks. I broke it twice. One store replaced it free twice, the other one (closer to home) gave me a big fuss about it and never did anything about it. I won't buy anything at that specific store now.

Yeah, some points as in, it's about me the customer, if they take care of me I go back. It is not the only place i shop at. I hit some of the local shops too. I will buy from YBO because they are convenient and most of their prices are competitive, but I won't spend more money at a local shop out of guilt. If a big box store is close and they sell it cheaper and are backing my purchases with warranties I will spend my bucks there. I will say though that I do spread out my purchases and make it a point to visit my local shop if I can.

I thought his comment suggested that "some points" seemed a little understated. LLBean did the same thing for me once. I considered it a pretty big statement.

I thought and thought and wasn't sure what he meant. So I explained myself. He could have been as you said pointing out that they are "big points", or maybe a little sarcasm I wasn't sure. I thought, there is a possibility he is partial to privately owned shops or he owns one himself. I don't know pete, so I didn't know how to take it, uh huh, excuse me, I think I have to go check my mouse trap. SSSnap Cling Clang!

lol means good natured laugh-friendly
You admit it was your fault so big points

That is amzing to me that Bass Pro replaced the rod.

My first rod was a White River 9' 5 wt. While on a fishing trip with a guide, he was giving me a casting lesson on a pond, as it was early in my fly-fishing career. He was demonstrating some casting and a ferrule blew out, the female end totally destroyed. Upon returning it to Bass Pro, they only offered me the clearance price as a store credit, as the rod was then the previous years model, though only 8 months after the original purchase at full price. I used the credit for some other equipment and have not made any substantial purchases from their fly shop. I do buy smaller items I need as they are here in HBG.

Hearing a story as above really makes me angry, I will now endeavor to pruchase even less from them, glad I heard this as I WAS considering buying a bass boat from them. They replaced an item broken by slamming the tip in a door, but not mine which was clearly faulty manufacturing.

They get ZERO points from me.

Yeah when I was fed up with the Dick's (pun intended) closest to me I went to one about 45 min away. They didn't have the rod I had because it was last years model. I told them I busted it lifting a fish out of the water (rookie mistake) and they said no problem. They had the same model in an 8 wt and another model with a better reel seat, and an overall nicer rod in a 5 wt, which was the same as mine. It was of course more expensive. They told me they'd ring up the 8 wt and I could pay the difference, which was fantastic for me. They rang it up and the better 5 wt and it was on sale for less than mine. They took the broken one, handed me the new and better one and told me to walk out the door lol. I will continue to use them, even if they are a chain with a lack of ff equipment.

I also buy a few things here and there at Neshannock creek fly shop. I know I can get things cheaper elsewhere, but I call up every time I fish to check conditions and hatches and Bob is always very helpful. I'll only spend maybe 10 bucks every time I go up, but I figure it's the least I can do for the help.

So the saying goes.... a woman will spend $1 on a $2 even if she doesn't need it just because it's on sale.

A man will spend $2 on a $1 item just because he needs it and doesn't want to be hassled with looking for it elsewhere.

They must like me. I went in today and they pulled my broken rod out of the case and removed my reel, took a new identical rod broke it down put my reel on it and stuck it in the case and said "have a nice day", so I did. And I will probably be back to buy another rod in the next year or so. Iwas in the store like 5 minutes that includes walking through the store to get to the fly shop.

I would think if any store could afford to do this, it would be a "big box" store. Customer service speaks volumes...

I purchased what I thought was a new St. Croix Avid a couple of years ago from Dicks. The rod broke off at the tip on opening day, but like you I had a spare to fish with. Called St. Croix and they said my rod had been previously registered and thus no warranty for me. Fought with Dicks and they did absolutely nothing for me, I was very disappointed. Got a call from the Pres of St. Croix and talked with him, he ended up replacing the rod tip for me, gratis, but said next time I'd have to pay. Good gesture, but in my book not quite enough.

Dicks was at fault for selling what St. Croix considered a used rod--via voided warranty in my opinion. St. Croix in my opinion, should not have let that happen. Somehow there should be a data exchange so I'd have at least known the warranty was voided. That's what irritated me.

I avoid both places for fishing gear. After that experience it's local fly shops for me. They have always taken care of me and treated me very well. Also a good way to keep them in business!

LL Bean's policy for accepting returns is nearly unmatched IMHO. Return anything at any time if you are not satisfied. Tough to beat.

The first flyrod I broke was an Orvis 4 weight called the Rocky Mountain Flea...I believe it was 6.5' long. I was about 13 years old, casting in the backyard w/ a friend. I told him "man, these Orvis rod are strong, watch this" I grabbed the line in my left hand, and bent the rod into a U shape. Just as he said "woah" POW it snapped in half. I didnt know what to do, but laugh. Thank god for Orvis' awesome warranty :-D

Paul W

We found Cabela's to have pretty much the same policy with broken rods. My one friend broke three (in the past three years) of his fighting steelhead, as he doesn't believe in nets, just bend the rod as hard as you can and pull them in. Then this past month, he was up there on the elk, he set his buddies setup against the car, it fell down and not kowing he stepped backwards and crunch a broken rod. We always carry spare setups just in case something happens. The bottom line though is that Cabela's replaced all the broken setups with no questions asked.

Back