Breathable Waders and Boots

lostboy

lostboy

I am asking Santa to bring me some breathable waders this year.

I've been researching online and going to some shops around Harrisburg. I quickly realized that there are MANY different waders out there.

A budget of around $200 will have to supply me waders as well as wading boots. I like the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Dry Plus Breathables and their Backcountry wading boots. This should put me in a little over budget but I think I can get it past the boss.

Can anyone tell me if they have these waders, or, any other suggestions for breathables/boots that meet my budget? My only criterion is that the waders must be able to roll down to waist high.

DC

The only true waders that roll down for waist high waders are patagonias and orvis tailwaters due to their internal supender system and they are out of your price range. The alaskan guides are a good choice for the money, but I tried them on and didn't fit very comfortibly. I wound up getting simms L2s but they are out of your price range.
LL Bean emergers are also a good choice. Orvis Enduras would also be in your price range. I've been through many pair of the under $200 dollar waders and you should plan on them leaking, most likely sooner than later. Bean and Cabelas will take care of you when it happens. Highly recommend trying them on. Bean is in Center Valley off Rt 309. Take the family because theres plenty of other stores there to interest everyone. Sure you know where cabelas is....
For boots, any of the lightweights will work. If you can get them in a felt, stud thats what I'd recommend. Not necessary for everywhere but sure is nice when you need that extra stablity.

Let us know if you have any other questions,

Keith

I have Cabela's Dry plus and got them on sale last year for @ $130. However, I was looking at them about a month ago and they were around @120. They come with a wading belt and the suspenders detatch to be rolled down. I love these waders.
I also have Chota boots. The boots with felt are about $40 and the ones with felt and screws are $80. These are the most comfortable boots I've worn, especially for $40 / $80.
So, This combination puts you around $200 with the upgraded boots, or gives you flexability to go a little more on the waders you are looking at.

I'd have to agree that the Chota boots are the most comfortable boots I've worn too. It's like wearing a pair of athletic shoes. There are 2 things though that I don't like about them. First, they absorb water and get heavy. Second, they don't have the support for hiking back country streams. They are however perfect for easy hikes.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into the Chota boots.

MKern, my job takes up to Lewistown a couple times per month and I've often thought of pulling over to fish the Kish.

Don't pay extra for spikes. Just buy the felt sole boots, then go to a dirt bike shop and buy the screws for ice racing. They are the same screws chota uses and you can buy 100 for the same price that chota charges for 20.

Lostboy.

Orvis has their ProGuides on sale for $199.00. I bought a pair last month and used them in Erie.

You still need to get boots. Chotas are great. I went with the Korkers that have changable soles for around $129. You get the hiking sole and a felt.

I know you want to be under $200 but thats gonna get you a good pair of boots and some "throw away" waders. Although you could get the $100 boots adn the bean waders for $100 and keep sending them back.

I am happy with the Orvis waders so far. But its early/ For the money, its a great buy.

Maurice

Look down the board a ways there is a thread form October when I was in the market....lots of great advice and knowledge was put forth by the group.

Here is a link for closeout Gore-Tex waders that still have the factory warrantee. I just picked up a pair of Simms 2007 Classic Guides ( very similar to the G-3) for just under $240. They also have others and some boots too.
http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4
Most of the manufacturers are redesigning for next year.
I hope it helps.
Crb

Nice tip biggie. I've bought the carbide tipped screws from Simms before for my wading boots. These racing spikes look like they will perform just as well and I can get 250 for the same price Simms charges for 20.

Kold Kutter Screws

when my last pair of wading boots fell apart i replaced them with three pairs of cheap boots.
i understand you may need to dry boots thoroughly to kill snot rock and other things.
i really think cheap boots,such as prolines and hodgman are the way to go with felt soles.i mean they're FELT for goodness sakes,a $ 300 pair of boots may only last slightly longer than a $40 pair,IMHO.

I and others ( i have noticed) have the lightweight wading boots from Cabela's. They are 50 bucks and I like them as well if not better than my old worn out 125 dollar LLBean boots.

I agree with Tom on the cabela's lightweights. I got mine with studs and they look like new after a year's use.

I like the Hodgman Wade Lite waders and Orvis Clearwater boots. Breathable waders in my opinion if they are not gortex are all almost the same and I perfer to look for a wader with accessories such as a front pocket that I use for my camera. I like Orvis boots because if they break on me I can return them for a new pair. They have a very good warantee.

A agree with the dirt bike screws. I put them in my aqua stealths and have never been happier with my boots.

Spend the extra dough and get the patagonia's. ( if ya can )

Anyone recommend a good dirt bike shop in westmoreland county?

I was just on cabelas and they had stocking foot Simms Blackfoot for $100.

tom,

There's one in Delmont right on rt. 66. Down & Dirty is the name,, I think. Can't miss it, 2nd stoplight in Delmont.

Great tip on the studs !!! Thanks.

JH

I have a complaint about the Orvis Clearwater shoes. A lot of the places I fish these days are somewhat goopy around the margins and over the course of a season, this goop tends to suck the glued felts off these shoes. I don't think I'll ever buy another pair of shoes that do not have stitched felts..

I have the same complaint about the Orvis Clearwater shoes but everytime it happens I just take them back and get them replaced with a new pair for free. I've often thought about stitched felts but then I wondered how long it would take for the stitches to rip after walking on pavement or stones. Snow also does a number on the felts...it'll rip them off quicker then anything but thats why I just purchased a pair of boots with the Aquastealth studded bottoms from LL Bean.

Back