best line for swinging flies on a switch rod

geebee

geebee

i just picked up a Redington CPX 7113-4 to complete the Arsenal.

i want to use it to swing flies for bass, stripers n steelhead with some stripping but not necessarily...i'm thinking mending might be needed,

Rio's selection alone is mind boggling - short spey, scandi short versitip, switch etc.

any suggestions, recommendation ?

cheers

Mark

Geebee, check out Simon Gawesworth's Tome on Speycasting if you can . He mentions this rod as one of his arsenal, the lines listed in it I believe. I can't help you I use two Spey rods{ GLoomis Trout Spey 13'4" 5/6 and a Scott G 14' 9 wt) I use full floating lines. the trout spey I have two lines that I use Rio Windcutters in 4/5 and 5/6 respectively and for the Scott G I use a Airflo Delta 8/9. A lot of guys really like the Wullf Ambush. If I buy another line it would be ghard because the Wullf Spey Triangle Taper would be my next choice I really lke the Triangle Taper on my single handers or the Vision Ace. Spey rods are generally considered Spey Rods after 13' in length, under that to 10 foot is generally considered a switch. This is the standard in two handed circles. I use Airflo Poly LEaders or Rio Spey Versa Leaders also for getting down .

I use a Rio Switch Chuckar which is a floating line and use sinking poly leaders in different weights to reach different depths when swinging flies. I went this route as I do tend to use my switch for indy fishing on the Erie tribs and can get deep enough with the poly leaders when needed so it works for the best of both worlds. If your fishing deeper rivers or lakes you will probably want some type of scandi line. Rio has a line selector tool on their website which may be helpful. Hopefully someone else chimes in on sinking heads and which will match your rod. Do some research on grain weights and it will get you in the right direction.

I put a Rio switch chucker on my 7wt and love it. Just match it with Rio MOH's or Air Flow leaders and your good to go.
You can buy the whole set of leaders from Rio in a wallet and they will cover everything from floating to different sink rates. Just add tippet and fly.

I have a rio nymph tip on mine and it works fine + it has the tip to detect strikes when you are drifting wets.

thanks for the input guys, i'm torn between the switch chucker and skagit max versitip 425g right now.

the difference in head length is 2ft so its minimal, but the versitip gives me 3 MOW tips that i'd have to buy separately.

Cheers

Mark

Back