Backpacking fly rod

jifigz

jifigz

I believe that I am going to pick up a St. Croix 4-piece Imperial rod for taking into hard to reach areas and camping/enjoying nature and effectively combining two of my favorite hobbies, backpacking and fishing. What weight would be most appropriate? I was thinking 3 or 4 weight would probably be pretty versatile. They make the imperial in a 4-piece 7' 3-weight which would be highly packable or I could select their 4-piece 7'6" 4-weight...which would you choose?

I am also open to whatever suggestions of brands/weights you all think would be good choices. I appreciate your input.

By pack packing, I'm assuming you will be fishing small mountain streams. A 7' to 7'6" is a good choice in that the rod can fill multiple roles from dries on small mountain streams to medium size nymphs ad streamers on medium size streams.

As for line weight, I would encourage you to take the time to find a rod/weight combination that works for you. I have 3 weight rods ranging from 5'1" to 11'. I find I generally cast a tighter loop by over lining with a 4 weight line.

I own their 7', 4-piece, 3-weight Imperial and it's the only rod I own that I can pack into an 80L hiking pack without difficulty. In fact, I bought it for the exact same reason you did and I really like the rod a lot. It has seen a lot of time on the water, even when I'm not backpacking in.

I have a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, 5 piece rod. I have it in one of those cases where you can leave the reel attached. You can put the case inside a backpack, or strap it on the outside. The case is only 25 inches long.

I think a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt is a very versatile rod, and the best choice for those types of streams.

Check the Sage TXL-F. 6' 10" 4 piece. Great little light weight rod in a 3wt. I use mine a lot.

I have a st croix imperial 7foot 3wt that i really like. Unfortunately it's a 2 piece so it's not normally my backpacking fly rod. I usually end up fishing my 6'6 3wt echo carbon, which i'm not very fond of. It gets the job done and i got it on closeout, but it's not the most accurate and it doesn't have good "punch" to throw small streams/larger nymphs even when overlined with 4wt line. Unless you are fishing out west or consistently fishing larger PA backcountry waters, i would recommend the 7ft 3wt imperial.

IMO either rod would be a good choice for backpacking.

Six-Gun wrote:
I own their 7', 4-piece, 3-weight Imperial and it's the only rod I own that I can pack into an 80L hiking pack without difficulty. In fact, I bought it for the exact same reason you did and I really like the rod a lot. It has seen a lot of time on the water, even when I'm not backpacking in.

Cool...I'll probably be lugging around all of my usual backpacking and fishing gear with a 60 liter pack or so....the rod will probably be lashed to the pack somehow. I'm pretty pumped about it.

troutbert wrote:
I have a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, 5 piece rod. I have it in one of those cases where you can leave the reel attached. You can put the case inside a backpack, or strap it on the outside. The case is only 25 inches long.

I think a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt is a very versatile rod, and the best choice for those types of streams.

what kind of rod is it? I'm totally open to suggestions about affordable rods that break down into 5 or 6 pieces. Let the suggestions roll!

I use a 7' 4wgt or 6'6" 4 wgt. I attach it to my 24L day pack and 70L REI crest trail by placing the rod tube in the water bottle holder and using the side compression straps to hold it tight. I don't know what kind of pack you have but I would save on the rod and by a better pack if you don't already have a good one.

Lots of small stream fish have been caught on 50-100 fly rods might as well enjoy getting there as much as you can. A well fitting quality pack is irreplaceable.

Does anyone have experience with cabelas stowaway rods? I have been considering them for the fact that they are 6 pieces and breakdown to less than 20in

tyeager wrote:
I use a 7' 4wgt or 6'6" 4 wgt. I attach it to my 24L day pack and 70L REI crest trail by placing the rod tube in the water bottle holder and using the side compression straps to hold it tight. I don't know what kind of pack you have but I would save on the rod and by a better pack if you don't already have a good one.

Lots of small stream fish have been caught on 50-100 fly rods might as well enjoy getting there as much as you can. A well fitting quality pack is irreplaceable.

Don't worry...I'm no novice backpacker. I have EVERYTHING to be comfortable while on the trail (or bushwhacking) except for a rod that is acceptable to carry. I've got packs that have many miles on them and are very comfortable. But you are correct...a comfortable pack is indispensable.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Does anyone have experience with cabelas stowaway rods? I have been considering them for the fact that they are 6 pieces and breakdown to less than 20in

I've built many fly rods from Stowaway blanks and have always been happy.

Keep in mind, however, that I treat blanks rough, chopping them down with a hacksaw and interchanging tip sections. Not a connoisseur of brand name, high end fly rods here... so take this for what it's worth.

I've been using my 8' 4 wt Imperial as my pack/ smaller stream rod for the past 17 years. I drop the rod tube & use a lighter poly florescent tube protector in the water bottle holder as my case. In the top compartment of my pack go my reel, lanyard with tools, and a small box of flies. I think you'll be happy with the Imperial at either length.
Matt

What are people's thoughts on a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional 2 vs the Imperial? That rod is significantly cheaper and I could complete the outfit for a lot less money then.

I'm glad someone brought up backpacking rods. I just ordered a 7' 3" 3 piece 4/5 weight bamboo rod. I feel like a kid the night before Christmas. Should be in in about 2 weeks.

I think a 4 or 5 weight is perfect for backpacking and small streams. I'm not a fan of anything less than a 4 weight only because it becomes too specialized. I always fear hiking in, and finding that the stream I was looking for is wider or faster than I imagined, or it's windier than I predicted. I guess the 4/5 weight is like a security blanket for me.

On another note, I do love St. Croix rods. I have a 9' 6 weight Legend that I fish with a WF7 for smallies on the Delaware.

Awesome....I would anticipating that rod big time. I was going to go 3 weight but I think I am going to make it a 4 weight in the TFO Professional 2. It should be pretty awesome.

Back