Allen Reels?

• Thread starter BrookieBuster101
  • Start date
BrookieBuster101

BrookieBuster101

How is the quality of Allen Flyfishing's reeks? Im thinking of buying one or two.

I have been wondering this too....Looking hard at one of their Trout 3/5 reels...

Having seen Alby's "stable" of these reels, they are really impressive.

I don't own one (yet), but the next time Justin gives us a special deal here, I'll be all over it. Hint hint Justin!

but the next time Justin gives us a special deal here, I'll be all over it. Hint hint Justin!

oooh...really? I like the sound of that.....I am gonna have to keep my eyes open for this

I have six Allen reels. A 3/4 Alpha, two 3/5 Trouts, a 5/7 Trout, a 7/8 Alpha, and a 9/10 Alpha. I've caught a King Salmon on the 9/10 and a number of steelhead on the 7/8. I've been extremely happy with the quality, value, and durability of these products.

PA300015.jpg

PA300010.jpg

I'll second the support for the Allens. I need another one actually. I'm kinda hoping to win the one at the raffle on the D trip and seeing if Justin will exchange it for a 3/5.

I have an Allen XL 7/8, cork drag, which I believe has been discontinued, that I use for Salmon/Steelhead/Lakes and I've been very pleased with it. It held up to taking big runs from a King last winter, the drag was very linear and held up well even after taking a dunk.

I also have an Allen Trout 5/7. As Jay mentioned in the linked post, I did have a problem with the clutch bearing failing resulting a very, very messy free spool situation. But, consistent with Jay's post again, I contacted Allen and they had sent me a new clutch bearing that was stupid simple to install. This reel is on my 6wt which I haven't fished much this year, but I took it out the other day to fish a small pond and it reminded me how much I missed using the Allen Reels.

One the whole, I would absolutely buy more of their reels and recommend them to people who are looking for a good entry/mid level reel.

And, of course, Allen FFing is a supporter and advertiser on this site.

I was originally looking into the Lamson Konic reels before I clicked on the Allen link here at PAFF. I like the fact that he is a supporter and is one of the reasons his reel will end up on my new rod(whenever I get one). I am glad to hear all the good reviews on the reels.

What is the main difference between the alpha and trout. I think I am slowly liking the style of the alpha more.

Alright i just might get one. The price is pretty good.

thebassman wrote:
I was originally looking into the Lamson Konic reels before I clicked on the Allen link here at PAFF. I like the fact that he is a supporter and is one of the reasons his reel will end up on my new rod(whenever I get one). I am glad to hear all the good reviews on the reels.

What is the main difference between the alpha and trout. I think I am slowly liking the style of the alpha more.

The alpha is mid arbor and the trout is large arbor.

Dude says it's a mid-arbor but I have never thought of it as such. Most vendors would consider this a large arbor in my opinion. I have a 9/10 Alpha and really like it. Fit over 9000 miles of backing on it with a 9wt Sharkskin and plenty of room left over. Really well made and very favorable weight characteristics. Only issue I ever had was slow shipping and items frequently being out of stock. Most of this is attributed to model changes and general issues of a start up. Guy has really taken care of his customers. Dude had a Allen posted in swap forum here and Justin offered to switch it for another reel.

I have the Allen Trout 5/7 and really like it. I bought it for my bluegill rod but finally decided it was too good for bluegills especially after it had no problem handling the nice smallmouths that kept hitting my bluegill poppers. I'd love to get the new Alpha II for my 8 weight but can't afford it right now. I will probably pick it up next year.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Having seen Alby's "stable" of these reels, they are really impressive.

I don't own one (yet), but the next time Justin gives us a special deal here, I'll be all over it. Hint hint Justin!

X2!!!

Also...what's the ETA on the Alpha 2?

EDIT: nm - just found it on the website - apparently Alpha 2 supposed to start shipping this week? (1st week of august)... Anyone order one yet?

Hello,

The Alpha 2's have been released for about 3 weeks. We started shipping within the last 12 days.

Thank you

Justin

For anyone that's been waiting for a sale on Allen reels, you might want to sign up for their email news list - it'll be worth your effort.....

I did....I got the e-mail....I am pumped...

Just ordered a Trout 5/6 in gunmetal.

I ordered the exact same reel and color as mcwillja yesterday - great price! I already own a now discontinued Allen XL 5/6 and really like it. The drag stacks up to the one on my Orvis BLA III.

Back