4wt vs 5wt

P

podflyguy

I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but I need some advice. I have a 7'10" 3wt and a 9' 5wt. The 5wt is a loomis gl3 and I find it to be pretty stiff. Great for throwing nymphs and streamers but not very delicate with dries. The 3wt gets the job done on small streams, but thats about it. I'm looking to get another rod and had planned on bridging the gap with a 4wt, but I'm debating getting another 5wt to cover more water. Can't decide what to do. I know I probably wont feel too much difference either way. Have been looking at the biiix and the one, but still need to cast them. Any advice would be appreciated.

I say get a 8'6" or 9ft med action 4wt and bridge the gap. I do nearly all of my fishing with a 8'6" 4wt. Its not overkill like a 5wt can be on smaller streams and can toss bigger stuff in a pinch.

Tailingloop, that is exactly what I was thinking. Probably leaning toward the 8'6" since I have the 9' 5wt for nymphing. Sometimes that extra 6" gets me in trouble in tighter quarters. Thanks for the reply.

How big are the streams yo fish? I think you will find the 2 models you listed to feel stiffer than the Loomis you have. Have you ever tried a Scott G2 ? If you are looking for a sweet casting rod that isn't too firm, look one up. The only negative I could find was the Rob didn't have a ton of backbone / lifting power on real big fish. I think Loomis has a few models that are a bit softer feeling than a GL3.

Krayfish, I mostly fish smaller southeastern pa streams. Actually bought the 3wt (sage txl) to fish valley creek. I get up to the state college area as much as I can and plan to fish the Delaware this year as well. I really appreciate your suggestion on the G2. I have also been considering the Winston B2t as well. I definitely prefer the feel of a little bit slower rod, but I don't want to be 100% limited to dries. I know the bottom line is that I need to take the time and cast all of these rods.

The 3wt Sage TXL's were not too slow. I was looking for a slower/medium rod when I got mine and was dissapointed. It was a great rod, just too "fast" for me.

I don't know Valley but if I were to fish saaaaay Spring Creek near State College I'd like a 7'6"-9' 3wt.

I've only wiggled a ONE 4wt but it didn't interest me.

I have 4 BIIIx rods and really like them. Having said that I think the One is a better all around rod but is substantially faster than the BIIIx. In my opinion the Winston WT is the rod for you if you are looking for a slower rod. The 8' 4wt WT is often cited as "the ultimate dry fly rod". I really like the 9' 4wt BIIIx for a dry fly rod but I prefer a faster rod. The 7wt is a freaking great streamer rod but I know that is not your question.

I have both the G2 and BIIT. The T has more strength in the butt section from the boron. If I were looking for a slower 5 weight, 8'6" Winston WT. Call Winston and ask if they have a loaner in stock. Try it out for a while and see what you think.

Slow 4wt, Orvis T3 midflex.

personal meh aside, the redington ct is alot of moderately fast rod for $75, which it is as its currently on sale at cabela's.

if its not, you can buy one from me in the allentown area for half price, plus tax, including warranty and a gift receipt before it goes back this sunday.

Can you gift wrap it for me gfen?

for $79.46 you can have it in its original cabela's plastic sleeve with their yellow PAID sticker.

for $80, i'll give it to you wrapped in a trash bag.

for $90, i'll wrap it in whatever left over paper from my kid's birthday i may have.

you can come to me, as i'm going right past Cab's door on Sunday afternoon so its not like its a problem to drop it back off in their store for my money back.

now, this is a for-sale thread, and that's a shame as there's a whole forum devoted for this and i'm through jacking this guy's thread. but, on topic, its a hell of a lot of rod for $80 if you want a graphite med action rod.

i don't, hence my non-interest in it.

if money is no problem and you desire graphite slow sage will gladly sell you a circa for too much money. i'd buy an orvis superfine first, though.

for 90 would have to be in bow on top too

I should clarify that I have been fly fishing for about 4 years. While I have been completely bitten by the bug, I don't have too much experience fishing rods other than the 2 that I own. So, to me the txl is much slower than the gl3. With that said, I'm not necessarily looking for a slow action rod. I want something that will present a dry much more delicately than my gl3, but is plenty fast enough to handle nymphs and light streamers.

"Slow 4wt, Orvis T3 midflex."

Sweet rod. I wish i could afford one.

"I'm not necessarily looking for a slow action rod. I want something that will present a dry much more delicately than my gl3, but is plenty fast enough to handle nymphs and light streamers."

I'd recommend the ZXL sage model. I have its "father" -the SLT. It feels the same as the SLT to me, but lighter in weight. It excels at what you described as your needs. Dries, medium sized weighted nymph rigs and weighted streamers up to size 8.
Best part, they are on clearance. I've seen them for 450-500.00

Nymphingmaniac, thanks for your reply. I definitely need to cast a ZXL. I never really new where it fit into the spectrum in terms of application. Sounds like it might be be the ticket. I guess it's one of those rods that flies under the radar.

Hook_Jaw wrote:
for 90 would have to be in bow on top too

deal. when are you picking it up? shipping is extra.

podflyguy wrote:
I'm not necessarily looking for a slow action rod. I want something that will present a dry much more delicately than my gl3, but is plenty fast enough to handle nymphs and light streamers.

That's easy, another 2.5' of leader and casting practice. Dry fly action rods of yore were always faster than their "wet fly" or "trout" tapers. The faster line speed helped dry the flies out on each cast. Delicacy isn't something in the rod, its what you do with it.

Buying a couple spools of Maxima is alot cheaper than a shiny new rod.

gfen is correct about delicate and fast rods/dry flies, but I think I know what you mean. You want something that will throw a "trout taper" line like the rio LT line well with a delicate tip for dries without having 35 ft of line out, right? At the same time can handle a heavier taper like a rio nymph line for nymphs/streamers. The SLT/ZXL will do so. It will handle a general purpose line like rio gold too. However for me, when nymphing and chucking streamers I use the rio nymph and switch over to the trout taper for dries.
I have the 5wt 9ft SLT

FYI: Rio lines in the old packaging are on sale now 49.00 (reg 75.00)

Exactly, I have rio gold on my 5wt now and it's not loading a dry with a few feet off the tip. I don't claim to be a great caster, but I know that I can accomplish the same task with my 3wt setup with DT. Unfortunately the 3wt just isn't enough for bigger streams, otherwise I'd fish it all the time. Maybe I need to experiment with some different lines.

Back