30% off Simms gear at TCO

W

wsender

http://www.simmsflyshop.com/SIMMS_Fly_Fishing_L4_Sale_Grid.cfm

Got this in an email. I'm sure it's good for in-store as well too, but I'd call before going out of your way. Discount applied when selecting sale item to add to cart.

Even on sale i think that's too much to pay...... Just my opinion.

It's worth it. I don't mind paying upwards of a couple of hundred dollars for a jacket I'll own for a number of years, wear the ever-livin **** out of, and will be reliable. Generally, you pay for what you get...

csoult wrote:
Even on sale i think that's too much to pay...... Just my opinion.

I agree. There are some good wading jackets out there for 1/4th the cost that get the job done.

Awesome. I just ordered the rouge hoodie a few days ago. Like the quality, will probably get a wading jacket by Simms, thanks for the link.

Sorry but I akin this stuff to guitars. I bought a ton of cheap guitars when I was a kid because it's what I could afford. They were #OOPS#, they didn't play well, sounded sub-par, and wouldn't last. Then I was able to buy a few nice axes, I'll have them for the rest of my life.

One $250 jacket over 5 years. Or a $100 jacket every 2 years. In the long run, it's the same, but I'd rather not be bothered to order a jacket every couple of years.

I agree, that on some things, you get what you pay for. And if the application is important to me, I'm often willing to spend the $. But it's not always so cut and dry that more $ = better.

For instance. My rain/wading jacket. $35 from Dick's. I'm going on 3 years and thrilled with it so far. It was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Yes, breathable. It's very light and packable. For cold weather, I just put it overtop of layers. Brand was field and stream.

Rods - My current rods range from around $100 (Cortland GRX) to over $1000 (custom made bamboo). They all have their time and place. But the cheapest of them, the Cortland, probably sees more use than any of the others, and is certainly among my overall favorites.

Wading boots: I've still never paid more than $80 for a pair. However, the pair that lasted me the longest, by far, I got for like $30 and the model still sells for well under $50. Check out Stearns. I've had pairs more comfortable, but those were comfortable enough and with better longevity. I may buy again....

jdaddy: I think I have the $35 jacket as well, and I know that my local Dick's does still sell them.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3034852&cp=4406646.4425420

I'll have to look at that jacket, I'm due for a new one. Thanks guys!

Yep, thats it. I was unsure of whether they still sell it, haven't been there in a while. Based on Tuna's post, I'd say yep.

It's breathable, but the fabric's "in practice" breathability isn't spectacular. For the most part, the design makes up for it with good vents. Forearms still don't breath well, though, I've noticed them getting a little clammy on hot days or staying wet if I dunk em. It's a good rainjacket and windbreaker, don't expect it to add much warmth (like I said, I layer underneath).

Draw strings in all the right places. No liner fabric, so when you wade deep it drains out just fine. Good zippered pockets but they're mesh from the inside, so if you're gonna wade that deep, don't have anything in there that can't get wet.

For $40, it gave me exactly what I wanted. A good, light, packable rainjacket with no liner to hold water when I wade too deep.

Back