3 weight rod recommendations

vdragan

vdragan

Hi, I'm looking to get passed my beginner's 5 wt. fast and stiff Okuma rod and wanted to get something for very light dry fly fishing (#16-#26). I'm from Lehigh Valley, so mostly small spring creeks.

From trying other rods too, a medium or medium-fast action would work good; also a not-so-rigid flex so I can roll cast in tight quarters; around 8 feet and under 250$

I've attached a research sheet I've put together, but the main question is: would the entry level models from Orvis (Clearwater II), Sage (Vantage), Redington (Trout) be a better value than TFO? I understand TFO uses cheaper graphite (can break), not sure about the others. It's difficult since there is no place to carry them all around here (Cabela's has some but not the right weight etc)

I was able to test the TFO Finesse and liked it (though finish is a bit lacking), the LL Bean Pocket Water so and so - too short, Double LL was better but only 4wt, Cabela CGR glass too soft.

I also see Orvis does not mention the flex in the Clearwater, that's not a good sign. The Vantage cork and handle seems higher quality from pictures, not sure if that's an indication for the whole rod.

Did anybody try a few of these 3-wt rods side-by-side? Which would be better casting in the hands of a skillful caster (which I hope to become, being just ok now)?

If you did not fell asleep reading the long post I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

Attachments

• rod_reel_3wt.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 13
  • rod_reel_3wt.jpg
    rod_reel_3wt.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4
I have a Redington Classic Trout that I really like (9ft 4wt), but it's a very nice rod. I found it on eBay brand new for $125. Lifetime warranty(better than the Orvis) and it comes with rod tube(better than TFO). Hope that helps.
James

Love my newly begotten TFO Finesse, roll casts like a dream. IMHO, don't let the lack of a rod tube sway your decision. Buy the rod that fits you and your budget. You can buy a rod tube on the cheap.

On your chart, I see the Ross FW listed. I have one in 8'6" - 3wt. It's a nice rod and the chart lists it as "med-fast". I'd agree. If you are looking for a more moderate flex, check out the St Croix Avid and the Sage Vantage. I fish with guys that have each brand / model. Both are nice rods. The Sage may be a bit lighter and may have a slightly better finish. Either way, you can't lose.

St Croix
A794.4 7'9" Mod. 4pc 4wt 2.7oz $ 240

Sage
480 8'0" 2pc 4wt 2 9/16 $ 225

Comparison charts are nice, but cast the rod before you buy. I bought enough rods (or too many), and learned the hard way.

one more thing, vio. just go try some all some whatever you have in your price range at any local stores. you never know. you have cabela's, tco, bean, orvis pm (ask for tom) and little lehigh all very close.

reassemble your list when you're done.

Thanks all for feedback. I understand you can't really go wrong with any of the mentioned.
Now if I could try them side by side the same day, that would be something.

Gary, thanks for reminding me about the Little Lehigh fly shop... in fact I was in there a little while back but the new owner did not seem very up to date with the gear, but maybe that's not a bad thing. He may have a bamboo gem gathering dust in a corner. I didn't know about TCO, so maybe I can include that with the trip to Orvis... even though I would rather be fishing than driving.

There are several 3 weight redington RS4's over on ebay. There are a couple of 2 piece 7.5 footers and I think there is a 4 piece 8 footer. I have a 4 weight for small streams and it is a great rod. There are 3-4 of the 3 weights right around $115. They come with a sock, a tube and a lifetime warranty. They are a pretty good deal on a good rod.

Good advice to take a look and cast as many rods as you can. You may find that one (some) rods really fit you well, while others...not so much. Putting the rod brands aside, I own 3wt rods, but most of my fishing in PA is done with a 4 wt rod (including fishing the LV streams).

Tomorrow (Saturday) there will be a whole bunch of really knowledgeable FFers at the noobie Jam in the LV. You could learn a whole lot about fishing, casting and even rod selection by attending. Here is a link to details:

HE Noobie Jam

Hope to see you there.

Bill, thanks, but was looking for a medium, not fast.

afishinado, thanks for the pointer - I was not aware that is going on. It is competing with the TU spring event, but I can probably learn more at the jam.

One suggestion - I know it puts the carriage before of the horse, but you guys may want to move the casting to morning since the chance of rain increases during the day.

As for 3 vs 4, I do own the 5 and it's not such a big diff to 4, wanted to have some ultralight gear since I rarely get into >12 inchers. A fish up to 10 inch is so overpowered by my stiff 5wt it's almost no fun.

St. Croix Avid.

Not sure if any one locally handles Elkhorn but it’s worth considering. I have a 8’-6” five piece medium-fast action, paired with their reel a very enjoyable/fun set-up. Made in Colorado around $240 for the rod.

Dear vdragan,

I don't mean to sound critical by this statement, but if you are comfortable with your casting ability and feel that you can make a rod work there are hundreds of nice 3 weights out there.

I scored a really nice rod for a song, a barely used Reddington RS-2 8ft 4 piece from a "for sale" post on Striper's On Line. It's a very nice rod and one that I would have never considered buying if not for the price.

Look around and see if there might be something out there that someone else doesn't want worth taking a flyer on, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

WhiskeyRiver, thanks, they do look like nice rods. They don't have a dealer page though, so not sure if they do sell in these parts.

Tim, yes, I'm sure there are many deals online, I would like to try it though. Unfortunately (or fortunately) that limits the choices to what's available locally.
I understand the local fly shop used to make Versitex rods from blanks, I'll give them a call to see if they still do.

I think I have time, the local waters are very low now and fish are nowhere to be found, at least on dries. Last year we were soaked at this time of year and now we were in the 80s the other day... strange times.

If you ever get over to central PA, you are more than welcome to demo my rods over on Stoney Crk.

Thanks, it may be a while, I still have my share of exploring to be done locally, in the Poconos.

[color=000066]A conclusion here[/color]

I ordered at Cabela the TFO, Sage, St Croix, Redington, Cabela's TQR and was able to test them side by side. I used a Redington Drift 2/3 reel, with 3 wt. DT Scientific Anglers line.

The conditions were not very good, a wind gusting over 20 mph, but somehow found a more quiet spot in the back.

Third grade: the TQR felt somehow hollow, the handle did not have substance. It was also too short but casting was ok.

Second grade: the TFO, Sage and Redington, with the edge going to TFO. Nice rods, loading and casting good, but felt like they had some stiff points, the tapper was not exactly uniform.

The winner
: St Croix Avid 793.4. Very fluid in the hand, loads and casts perfectly, you feel like writing on the sky... Very smooth and sweet rod. The handle is also thinner, in line with the "ultralight" scenario. And, topping it off, it's "made in USA".
I did not believe I could tell a difference in rods at my level, but yes, it was there. I had it out this weekend and it handled solid wild browns over 12 inch nicely. Also, stood out ok against the wind.
It only felt over-powered when a monster hit the fly on the Lehigh and took my line across the river, then I wished I had the 5 weight. I lost him soon in the battle though, so if I had kept pressure correctly instead of fumbling with the reel tension, I may have been ok. But man, that reel sounds awesome when peeling line!

good choice. i picked a 6' avid up earlier this year as well....2/3 drift also. it's a great combo.

If I were you, I would be scanning ebay. You could pick-up a used but pratically new Orvis Zero Gravity, TL or any older Sage LL for less and still have a higher quality rod. It takes a little more time and and careful looking, but deals are out there for sure.

Back