2wt. and 3wt. Rods

S

steve98

I was thinking of purchasing one of these lighter wt. rods.
Are they only useful for fishing with just small dry flies.
And only fishing small streams.

If so what are their limitations fly size and type wise
and leader wise and stream wise.

I only own a 4wt and use it for everything.

Thanks

Steve 98

Depends on what you plan to throw with it. You'll see I already put a pretty accurate breakdown of my light rods in Surveyor06's "Trico Rod" thread.

However, I can say I used a 7'6" 1wt from sometime in late July through 'til cold last year. I generally preferred dry flies, usually combining a 14 or 16 for an indicator with a 14 or 16 soft hackle or lightly weighted nymph under. I had a ball, but my fishing was limited to a stream about 20-30' across and with over hanging trees.

If I knew I was going to face good sized fish more often than not, I'd have stuck with the 4wt. Its an all around better rod, but I like things that are willowy and bend.

I find that my whippy little 3wt is only really best for medium sized streams and dry flies. It doesn't throw tight enough loops or generate enough line speed to accurately fish small, tight streams, and it's less than useful for throwing anything of weight.

It's fun to fish, but I only take it when I can be positive that 1. I'll be fishing dry flies on a 2. windless day for 3. trout averaging under 10" or a foot.

So I basically use it for fishing hatches on a few local streams. It is a very fun rod, and a joy to cast, but it's rarely practical.

my 9' 3 wt custom sage z-axis is a great rod for spring creeks.
it allows me to throw size 18-30 dries 40 to 50 feet on larger streams and also works great in close. a perfect moderately fast action small dryfly rod.
i really haven't used it for flies larger than 18 or too much for nymphing (other than sight nymphing without shot) so i can't speak for it's ability or inability to produce in other applications.
hope this helps.

Steve,

You can use a light weight rod for more than just dry fly fishing. Keep in mind that if you purchase a light flexible rod that your casting stoke must slow down. As you tie one heavier flies like a size 10 bugger that this will change the workings of the rod and your casting stroke again. I cant explain how it does but it does. You will need to practice casting heavier flies to get the groove of it. I use a 3wt full flex and can throw a tandem rig of buggers with no issues.
Practice makes perfect, the best part about that is your on the stream when you practice ;-)

You can fish mid to large streams with a smaller lighter rod. However you must now consider your limitations (unlike flies). If you see a large fish and hook him, you are no longer just fighting the fish. Current can be an issue. You very well may have to plan your attack and landing ahead of time. Avoid strong current, you will lose that battle. Instead, you are are going to have to hook the fish and immediately try to get him to a desirable location. In my experience, the way in which you set the hook and pull will direct the fish for about 2 seconds. Once he gets his bearings and realizes something is drastically wrong, he will run.

Leaders are only a limitation (like flies) that come down to ability and practice. I use a 3wt 7 1/2 foot rod and often use 12 feet of leader and tippet. It takes practice casting leader almost double the rod length but you can do it.

Again, flies and leaders are not a limitation but a skill to achieve through patience and practice.

Full flex light rods are perfect rods for spring creeks. Like the Letort or Falling Springs. They mimic bamboo action without being bamboo or quite as good.

As you well know, there are multiple tools for multiple jobs. In the past I used one to do them all but I have found applications better suited for a different rod. Which is why my arsenal is expanding. If you dont own a light rod, buy one. You will enjoy it and find uses for it, just get one with a good warranty as they tend to break easier. Especially if you fish brushy, rocky remote brook trout streams. Brookie streams are hard on gear.

All this said, as far as trout fishing goes.....I believe a 3wt can be used on 95% of all PA streams. Your limitations are not as bad as you perceive.

I own one 2 weight and several 3 weight rods. They are FUN. I would not buy one for an all-around flyrod of course. For smaller streams and small flies they work great. I use my St. Croix Avid 7'6" 2 weight to fish the Tricos on Spring Creek. Ultralight flyfishing gear is great!

I just recieved a Superfine Touch rod from Orvis. It is a 3wt. and I have no problem casting 30' and no problem in shorter distances. Also can fish both nymphs and dries. I got the 6'6" but they have a 7'6". Quickly going to become my favorite.
Mike Heck

Thats awesome Mike! The Superfines are by far and away my favorite rods.

I have the model made just before the touch series. I can wait to try the new ones.

I bought a Tfo 7'3" #2 weight this past summer and it is the most fun rod I have.

Although I can still throw small buggers it takes effort but I am surprised at how well it zings little hare's ears and dries around. I find that although I am limited to smaller lighter flies, I have caught some spooky fish in low clear water that I am sure I would have spooked with my 4 or 5 weight.

It has quickly become my favorite rod and I will find an excuse to use it whenever possible. Hooking a 14" trout or a nice big redeye feels like hooking a trophy every time. :)

I use the 7'6 Orvis Superfine 3 wt. It was a pricey investment, no doubt. I wasn't a fan of the slow action due to the full rod flex at first. But, as time went on and I got better at throwing tight loops with it. Now, I don't think I ever want to fish a small stream with a different rod, something about it feels so right.

I fish a 6' 2wt all the time, mostly on tight streams but have had it water like the L.L.H. and saucon. then a few longer than 7' for 3wt. don't pass up the orvis classic rods they are basically a cheaper version of the super fines. I have a 7'6" 3wt. that is the same as the superfine model and beadhead2 has the 6' 4wt. thats a cannon.

Hey All

Thank you for the replys and thoughts.
Very Helpful

steve98

I can throw 14 and smaller 40 plus feet w. my 6'6'' 2 wt. I only fish this rod on smaller freestone streams though. Oddly, I fish either a 5 or 6 wt. for all other applications, from medium stream trout to steel. 8 wt is relegated for early chrome and carp.

moral of my post is you do not need a small rod to throw small flies. I have no problem throwing 12 foot leaders and size 20 midges gently. Some think it doesn't matter much, but I like to take pride in casting, and with a lot of practice/experience, it will mean catching and not catching in some scenarios.

Back