2pc vs. 4pc rods

brain

brain

thinking about getting a new 4wt, from st. croix. the specific rod i'm looking at only comes in 4pcs....i never handled a 4pc rod, let alone fished one.

so, is there any noticable differences between how the two feel?

Dear brain,

See if you can test cast the rod just to see if you like it.

I haven't bought a 2 piece rod in well over 10 years with the exception of older used bamboo and fiberglass rods. I sold many of my 2 piece graphite rods and replaced them with 3, 4, or 5 piece models. To me they are just much more convenient to travel with or store.

Having said that I have cast some rods that had a noticeable difference between the 2 piece and 4 piece versions. In my case I always felt the 4 piece versions handled better and felt better to me, you might not feel the same way.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

If there's any difference, the 4 piece will be a bit stiffer and faster. To me, that's a good thing most of the time.

fwiw, rods can be tapered to design where the extra pieces can be advantageous to use. while similar-but-different, i've seen many instances where 3 piece rods are considered to be better than 2 or 4 piece rods. it all depends on design.

It used to be that fishermen thought ferrules negatively affected the action. There were even 1 pieces, but most were 2 piece.

That seems to have changed. Better ferrule design, or just a change in mentality, or perhaps a bit of both.

FWIW, almost all of my rods are 2 piece. No particular reason, just thats how it ended up, I wasn't avoiding or aiming for any particular number of pieces. I don't find 4 pieces to be any incredible advantage as far as carrying and storing, my car handles the length of a 2 piece just fine, and when carrying, I carry it as a 2 or 1 anyway cause I don't take the case out of the car. If there is a real advantage to 4 piece, I'd say it's probably air travel. I did just pick up a 4 piece and it casts just fine.

I don't ever envision a time where I would purchase a 2 piece rod over a 3 or 4 piece rod. I've been fishing for over 40 years and can tell any discernible difference on the water. I can tell a difference when it comes time to pack my rods for travel. I say go 4 piece and don't look back.

everywhere you have a joint in the rod it is weaker ! I think 2 piece rods telegraph better than 4 pc rods too.

troutslammer wrote:
everywhere you have a joint in the rod it is weaker ! I think 2 piece rods telegraph better than 4 pc rods too.

I agree with this statement too. The only rod I broke was a 4 piece rod where the top piece went into the next.
If you travel by air alot, the 4 piece is the way to go.. You can carry them on the plane instead of shipping them. Other than that it is what you like to fish with.
I have both and prefer the 2 piece rod.

There are times when I would like to go back to two peice rods. Specifically when I get tired of putting the extra pieces together and lining up all of the guides so I can get rigged and start fishing.

My best friend only takes his four piece rod apart in the middle and stores it in a two piece rod/reel tube.

He is the practical one and consequently beats me to the water when we fish together.

Shock

Back