10 and 11ft rod question

Stimey

Stimey

I've been looking at longer rods for different nymph fishing applciations.. Question on reels best suited for long rods... do you all think balance is more important or overall wieght (mainly for euro style nymphing, where I'm not as concerend about traditional casting) Thanks for any input

u dont want it tip heavy, if it is it will kill your arm

My set up is about 1/4" off from being blanced when placing my index finger at the end of grip. It is a 10' 4 wt. I never noticed it out on the stream.

Attack, didn't you inform me that some people may bump up a reel size to prevent this blanace issue.

If you do that should under line it? (10' 4 wt rod, 5 wt reel, 4 wt line?)

I prefer the lightest overall combo and don't worry so much about balance. I use both an 11 ft 4wt and 10 ft 3s, and 4s and match with the Sage 4500 and 4540 vy light reels. With Euro nymphing your arm is extended in all sorts of different ways and if you fish all day a few extra ounces extended out will add up to a tired arm and shoulder.

alot of people use a over size reel on them...on a sage esn 10' 3 wt alot of people use a 5/6 reel....my access is the lightest 10' rod out there and i used a konic 1.5 which wasnt bad but after along day i could really feel it....now i have put a heavier reel on it and i can tell a big difference....no need to over line it if u bump ur reel size up, you would only over/under line it if u wanted to change the action of the rod

Attackone,

So to make sure I understand, you are saying that your arm was less fatigued with a heavier reel that balanced properly, than an overall lighter outfit that was tip heavy?

Try taking a yard stick and balancing something of decent weight on the far end, and then on the closest end towards your hand and you can answer that question. It takes more effort if the weight is farther away from you.

If you want to make an existing reel heavier... try a little lead tape from the golf club industry. Take off your line / backing and wrap the tape around your spool.

I prefer balance over weight savings. I tried adding lead tape to balance my Orvis Battenkill LA with my 11 foot 3 weight and found Iit took an excessive amount to get the balance I was looking for. Also did not like the adhesive residue left after removing the tape. I finally settled on using lead core fishing line. Be sure to test for color fastness or the line will bleed onto your fly line. I used Uffix brand with no such problem.

krayfish wrote:
If you want to make an existing reel heavier... try a little lead tape from the golf club industry. Take off your line / backing and wrap the tape around your spool.

^+1 I do that exact thing

I use longer rods quite a bit. Balancing any of my rods is important to me. Fishing a rod that's way out of balance either way (butt or tip heavy) is miserable and will wear you out.

Thanks for the help....all good points

Maybe I'm backward, but I don't see why you need a long rod for nymphing, can someone explain it to me?

Chaz wrote:
Maybe I'm backward, but I don't see why you need a long rod for nymphing, can someone explain it to me?

Most times, the key to nymphing getting a drag-free drift. A longer rod allows you to hold more line off the water, and thus eliminating or at least reducing drag when nymphing with indies, high-sticking, or tight-lining. In addition, a longer rod can more effectively mend line with an indy or when fishing dries. Also, it is easier to handle longer leaders for stealthier dry fly fishing as well as nymphing. Plus, the added length helps with roll casting, by giving you a longer length of line to load the rod.

The cons...a long rod is a real pain in smaller streams with overhead branches or bushes. Also, the fish actually has more leverage and landing fish is a little more difficult.

Longer rods (>9') were not really an option back in-the-day because of their weight. But today, given the introduction and refinement of rod materials, longer rods are a good option for fishing.

IMHO, it is easier to control the drift with a longer rod. More line is off the water and it is easier to mend. I also like longer rods for "high sticking" dries - can keep more line off the water in pockets/conflicting currents and get a longer drift with a dry as well. Not as accurate casters - but OK when you get used to it. Also, not the right tool if you need to rocket a cast. Not great for streamer fishing either. All rods have good and bad characteristics and pick what you like to use. For example, on the Brodheads at the ball fields I can hit the eddies on the far bank with a 10' rod and get a good drift. It seems the best fish are 6" from the bank up there so the 10' rod works for me there. If I have too much line on the water up there the currents pull the fly out of the eddy in a heartbeat. Down on some of the big pools in the gorge I can't accurately reach the fish with my long rods and need a faster, better casting rod. Of course more lines on the water, but that doesn't matter as much on a big pool.

A better case for long rods is made in Leonard Wright's Fly Fishing Heresies.

Backto the weighting. The modern 10' rods are pretty light and I just generally use an older heavier reel,like a older JW Young reel, and it balances acceptably.

JeffK wrote:
IMHO, it is easier to control the drift with a longer rod. More line is off the water and it is easier to mend. I also like longer rods for "high sticking" dries - can keep more line off the water in pockets/conflicting currents and get a longer drift with a dry as well. Not as accurate casters - but OK when you get used to it. Also, not the right tool if you need to rocket a cast. Not great for streamer fishing either. All rods have good and bad characteristics and pick what you like to use. For example, on the Brodheads at the ball fields I can hit the eddies on the far bank with a 10' rod and get a good drift. It seems the best fish are 6" from the bank up there so the 10' rod works for me there. If I have too much line on the water up there the currents pull the fly out of the eddy in a heartbeat. Down on some of the big pools in the gorge I can't accurately reach the fish with my long rods and need a faster, better casting rod. Of course more lines on the water, but that doesn't matter as much on a big pool.

A better case for long rods is made in Leonard Wright's Fly Fishing Heresies.

Backto the weighting. The modern 10' rods are pretty light and I just generally use an older heavier reel,like a older JW Young reel, and it balances acceptably.

A lot of good points, above. One thing, try test casting a bunch of 10' rods, they are not all created equal. Some are very good for casting long and accurate.

Back