Zebra Midges

kmmichael51

kmmichael51

I am going to tie up some midges to fish in Northeast PA mainly upper Pocono's. Black with silver ribs in size 18 is what im going to start with, anybody have suggestions on other colors and sizes

I tie zebra midges in black, tan, gray, red and brown

Here are some pictures.......

Attachments

• grayzebramidge.JPG
    grayzebramidge.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 7
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 5
what color thread is in the first, looks like a cream color

The First one is gray thread. The other one is black thread. Like I said I also did olive, red and tan thread.

I like and 20 to 24.i never go bigger then that.

I recommend black, red, and gray to start in sizes 18 to 24. Simple tie. Bead in silver or gold, thread with a fine gold or silver rib. If you want to go wild read Midge Magic.

The black in red ones in 20 and 22 are dynamite on Spring Creek near State College.

Happy fishing.

MD_Gene wrote:
If you want to go wild read Midge Magic.

This is good advice. There is more info on midges in that book than you can believe.

Hook plus thread plus Sally's hard as nails, in the colours suggested.

If you have shot, nix the BH . 18 will work instead of 22-24.

Golden for tailwaters IMHO

If I ever catch a trout on a zebra midge, I'll tell you how I tie them.

geebee wrote:
Hook plus thread plus Sally's hard as nails, in the colours suggested.

Golden for tailwaters IMHO
Yes, sinks so much faster like that. These are such deadly droppers all year round.

I like size 14's and 16's

Shane, I would never have guessed these patterns work well in sizes that big. Is that an all year size for you or do you drop size for winter or summer fish?

Zebras work in just about any size and color. Larger ones make good caddis nymphs or scuds.

I agree, you get diminishing returns with bead heads on smaller sizes. For very small Zebras, typically under #22, I don't use the bead, just a thread clump.

sipe wrote:
Shane, I would never have guessed these patterns work well in sizes that big. Is that an all year size for you or do you drop size for winter or summer fish?

All year in those sizes. I use small ones as well.

Black, brown, red, and cream. 18-24 with a extra small wire rib. Tie a piece of flashabou between the wire rib. Coat with Sally Hansen. Try a black body, black bead and a copper rib. It's just something slightly different .

I like sizes 18-24. Sometimes I will put a teeny little band of red dubbing right behind the bead for a hot spot. I'm not sure it makes too much difference but it gives me confidence and that seems to be half the game.

thanks for all the ideas gonna tie some up in this cold hope it gets a bit warmer than I can get out and try them in the Bushkill

My favorite zebra midge is a size 18 or 20, standard black thread with small silver ultra wire rib. One strand of pearl flashabou tied up over the back under the rib. For a bead I use a clear glass micro bead. I think the bead might represent an air bubble of an emerging insect and the flashback is just an attention getter.

nice I gonna tie one of those

Back