X-Caddis

Brownie101

Brownie101

I love this simple pattern. It's really the best of both worlds, it floats low in the water, yet is very visible. It is also very easy and inexpensive to tie, as it requires no hackle. It was developed by Craig Mathews of Yellowstone, Montana. Heres the material list:

Hook: Dai Riki #310 Dry Fly hook (or your preference) #12-24

Body: Color and type of dubbing your choice, here i used olive superfine

Wing: Elk or deer hair

Thread: Tan

Shuck: Color of your choice, Here I used Poly yarn in a pinch, but z-lon or antron is preffered

Sorry about the not so good picture.

Attachments

• 7363e054-cf76-4e5f-87f9-59e4a9b7f8ed_zps6d7677af.jpg
    7363e054-cf76-4e5f-87f9-59e4a9b7f8ed_zps6d7677af.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 9
That is a nice pattern. Rabbit fur and elk hair make up the only adult caddis pattern I use anymore. The fact that it rides low and you can pull it under on a swing makes it more effective IMO than a hackled pattern. I've tried shucks and never found much benefit, but that's probably just personal preference.
Mike.

Oops the hook is a Dai Riki #305, not 310.

I like to use a small amount of tan CDC as a shuck. Not too sure the trout care but I like the way it looks

This is one of my favorite - they float great, they skitter nice, you can't really tie them badly, and the trout slam them. If you tie to fish and not to tie, this is a great one. I didn't even touch a traditional elk hair caddis this year and these take half the effort.

I love this pattern, especially with cdc. Here's one I tied for YouTube:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyuKmbXhjPI[/youtube]

TC

Back