what is this insect?

P

patsac

i picked this insect of the surface of the big pine in lycoming county...can anyone i.d. this?

It is a stonefly shuck. My guess would be a big golden stonefly, but its hard to say for sure.

The tail seems long for a stonefly, but it does look like a shuck. I am interested in what it is sitting on.

pickup tailgate with a plastic liner.
the pictures not clear enough to tell what kind of shuck

i tried to zoom and clean it up...hope it helps

I'm inclined to guess it's a shuck as well due to the white color and what appears to be a split in the wing case. Curiously, the wings are already protruding so it may actually be a dead cripple of some light colored mayfly. I don't think it is a stonefly due to the long tails, long legs, and emergent wings.

reminds me of an article i just read, i guess it was in flyfisherman but the guy said there is a point where the nymph is white before it goes through it's emergence and he tied white stoneflies. damn...where was that article.

jeff

I too think it is a cripple of some mayfly.

govtmule,
I read an article where a guy fished white stoneflies as a molting stage. I can add that I have done well on streams with white patterns, especially in summer.

thanks Mkern....that sounds like the same one i read. i'll have to give them a try.

jeff

I'm not a rock flipper or a sceen (sp.) net person, but after I read this article I went to a stream and put my landing net below some vegitation and stepped down once or twice. When I looked in the net, there was two white stoneflies in an intermediate size; too large for Winter stones, but too small for stones for this time of year.
This was in teh late part of this Winter, or maybe last Winter -- they run together.

govtmule wrote:
reminds me of an article i just read, i guess it was in flyfisherman but the guy said there is a point where the nymph is white before it goes through it's emergence and he tied white stoneflies. damn...where was that article.

jeff

Summer issue of Fly Tyer? Shows one tied with a natural latex body.

Its a empty shuck, looks like a slate drake or yellow drake shuck..sorry no insect or cripple..

It’s definitely a shuck… left behind by an adult mayfly spinner (imago). A freshly hatched dun (subimago) must have landed on your tailgate and molted overnight.

Looks like maybe a clinger type (Stenocron) just guessing by the legs… could be any of a large variety though.

I agree with Dizzy,. Subimago to Imago molt skin of a mayfly.

Not a nymphal shuck.

I believe we have a winner!

I believe I'll have a beer!!! Psssssst - there it goes.

Nice call Diz!

Back