Wet Fly Patterns

HBGMarine

HBGMarine

I'm going to try my hand at night fishing this weekend and am having trouble finding large wet flies in any local stores or any patterns on the net. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can find some patterns? Thanks in advance!

I gave up on winged patterns, because they take too long to tie.

Any nymph pattern with a few turns of webby hackle up front seem to work fine for me.

No need to sweat the fly patterns for night fishing flies. Just go with the 3 B's as a guideline for fly selection: Big, Black, and Bushy.

I've found a heavily hackled black wooly bugger is too tempting for the big night-prowling brownies to pass up. Tie one on to a 2x tippet and hold-on!

afish - Will an 8lb bass leader be sufficient? I have a few big black buggers that I tied up for this purpose. Do you think a mouse pattern would work at night on the surface?

I've read in this forum that as night falls, a big furry mouse cast next to the banks can be killer. YMMV.

If you're looking for wet flies, then I'd think the reference for said patterns would be Bergman's Trout and the 19 or so colour plates in the book that show, I'd say, a couple hundred different patterns. On the other hand, I'd probably just tie up some buggers in dark colours and call it a day, err, night. They're easy to see, push lots of water, and mimic things like crayfish and baitfish, include a a healthy amount of flashabou in the tail to catch the moonlight.

HBH,

I would try a mouse, I'm sure it would work for big, agressive fish. As far a tippet, there's no need to go light. 8lb will work, but heavier might be better.

My hat's off to the night shift guys. :)
Coughlin

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/

i love big old winged wets.of course i like big old wets without wings too!haha

i've been tying a lot of telephone box's lately with turkey wings and artificial JC,guinea hens with guinea quill wings,march browns with hen pheasant wings,as well as the normal duck and goose quill winged patterns.

If you want to learn about wet flies seek out Donnie Bastian . I did a fly tying weekend/Bed and Breakfast at fishing creek anglers . It was a some of the most challenging and imformative tying I have done . I think Donnie has 2 dvds out also .And he did all the tying for the book forgoten flies .Here is some info on him .
http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/july2006/223.
http://www.fishingcreekangler.com/clinics.lasso

try some6 or 8 woolly buggers,rabbit hair matukas if the water is 18 inches or deeper-
greased,unweighted muddler minnows make a good surface fly
8 or 10 elk hair caddis type[tent] work well.

i'll second the heads up on donny bastian,a true wet fly hero.i hope to take one of his classes soon.

we use this here:
The Big Ugly (turd fly)
single for trout - double for steel "V" waked in surface..

Attachments

• 4-3-09 004_thumb.jpg
    4-3-09 004_thumb.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 5
sandfly, do you have a recipe for that bad boy?

Wow, that's a great match-the-hatch fly for the Schuylkill River. Thanks Sandfly.

Attachments

• Turd Fly.jpg
    Turd Fly.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 5
The original was tied on wire and the hook was added to the end. It's lambs wool spun and trimmed about 3" long in a cigar shape.. I like the tube fly cause it spurts bubbles as you swing it.

i like these to:

Attachments

• flies old 012.jpg
    flies old 012.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 6
I use those soft hackles constantly, but have adapted them to a buggier hares ear body. I have yet to find a color that doesn't work.

Back