Wet flies

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Decided to try my hand at fishing wets this year. I fish them for the grannoms but want to work on fishing them throughout the year. What flies do you enjoy tying and fishing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 14
One of the wets I use is this one modeled from an olive from spring creek size 18

bwowet_zps6171e044.jpg

Grabbing samples from the stream and copying them is a great idea, and a lot of fun. Some good generic patterns are the alder, march brown wet, hares ear wet, and the cowdung. But I really think the best is to go off of what's happening in the stream if you can. You can even check charts for size and color and adjust from there.

I've had a lot of luck with a simple peacock and partridge during the grannoms. I've tried a few colors and materials and will keep trying other patterns.

I am trying my luck with wets this year as well. I tied most of the popular generic patterns as well as some large almost streamer size wets.

I tied a bunch of the "partridge and ____" in various colors and sizes. I substituted either grizzly hackle or mallard flanks instead of the partridge though. I cant seem to find a decent partridge skin and I dont want to order one online.

Listen to l2n, the closer you get to a dead bug the more fish
you'll fool. The collar can be any webby (limp) feather, partridge
happens to be variegated and limp, a good combo, but hen, pheasant, grouse, peahen, starling, etc. all have suitable feathers somewhere on them.

working on a few now.

Attachments

• DSCF0440 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0440 (400x300).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0474 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0474 (400x300).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 5
l2n you nailed that pattern haha. Looks identical

Thanks T.

Sweet tie! That's a dead ringer Jack.

IMG_0805.jpg

I like fishing these downstream for brookies, just feed the line downstream and look for the belly of the line to go straight. It's a good way to get in tight places.

Btw Jack, I talked to G. Hoover about the yellow legs on the BWOs. He said thats a sign of a recently hatched insect, thought that was interesting.

Hey thanks Dan.
Brian that is interesting, nice little entomology tid bit to know thanks.

All of these wets in here are looking good. Btw

Back