thread

marcq

marcq

what is a good strong and thin hread that dosent build up as much?

My favorite is this.

Same strength as Danville 6/0, less than half the diameter.

Danville 6/0 or 8/0 should get yer job done.

H-A,
That stuff looks good. I'll be in the market for certain colors soon.

I used to prefer Guedenbrod, but they don't make it anymore.

For thin stuff I use Roman Moser, but it's real expensive.

MKern wrote:
H-A,
That stuff looks good. I'll be in the market for certain colors soon.

I used to prefer Guedenbrod, but they don't make it anymore.

For thin stuff I use Roman Moser, but it's real expensive.

Matt-

H.A. nailed it no need to look elsewhere. I love that stuff and use it on almost everything.

H.A. got it, that's the stuff I've been using as of late. Love it! I got turned onto it at a local fly shop when I was looking for thread to tie midges with.

My vote goes to HA and Gordon Griffith 14/0 also. Great stuff. And for those that hit Spring Creek, FFP stocks it.

Steve Sywensky at FFP is the guy that clued me in to the Griffiths thread a decade or so ago. Steve has never steered me wrong.

Afish - I also use Bennechi thread. If I had to compare what they're like, I'd say Griffiths is like a finer version of Danville 6/0, and Bennechi 12/0 is like 70 denier Ultra thread, but thinner (think really fine floss in construction).

The Bennechi is a bit more prone to fraying, but they both wrap nice and flat when needed.

I have every color made of Uni 8/0, but I much prefer threads that can be unwound and wrapped flat. Griffiths has better colors than Bennechi, but Bennechi comes on better bobbins. The Griffiths bobbins have no slot or end cap to secure the tags, but a razor blade takes care of that nicely. They're both great products, but I'd give the edge to Griffiths.

Unfortunately, they're both more expensive than I'd like. :roll:

I have it wrote down here somewhere in this mess, but I think that when I broke it down, I was able to get 40 dozen Brassies out of a spool of Griffiths. The only problem I've ever had with it was having it get tangled as it unspooled every now and then.

Griffiths is good stuff!

Gonna have to check out Griffiths thread. Thanks folks

Back