Streamer Materials

mute

mute

So ive gotten materials and tying down for the most part for standard nymph patterns. Now i ask, what are a handful of materials to get ahold of to start producing streamers like woolybuggers, and other combinations that are big leggy, buggy type creatures. I know of marabou and hackles to wrap around for the body, what else?

chenelle, flashabou...

There are tons of materials designed for tying streamers, so it really depends on what specific style/pattern type/body type you are looking of.
For instance, like said above, chenelle for bugger type flies.
But, Fish Hair like materials for long minnow-shaped streamers.
I use a lot of Roman Moser products for a lot of my minnow style streamers.
Also, Rabbit strips (zonker strip) are used in a varitety of patterns.

Squirrel and Rabbit Zonker strips, Marabou

I like krystal flash better than flashabou...just me...

bigger beads...bucktail...leach yarn...thicker thread...

buggers are great though...bead/marabou/chennille/saddle hackle...done...just pick a color

Have you ever used a pickett pin? A very universal fly. But pretty darn effective when stripped back to you. Materials include lead if you want it weighted, peacock hearl as the body and head, pheasant tail as the tail, squirrel as the wing and ginger hackle on the body. If you fish a lot of wild trout streams with brown and rainbows they like slammin these in the right conditions.

I know a guy who's a picket pin addict...I've used them...not a silver bullet but an ok fly...

Mute,

As you can see from the responses, Streamers are literally unlimited in style, type and size as well as materials.

You seem to be targeting Buggers as a streamer. They are easy to tie and can be dressed up with some of the items mentioned. Basically ou need Maribou for the tail, Chenille for the body and saddle hackle for the palmered hackle. But the Bugger is really not a streamer, so much as it is a universal fly that can be a nymph, crayfish or minnow immitation. Youcan mix in some flash or add beads, cones and dumbell eyes to get it down too.

For streamers there are several types to consider as a beginner.

Hairwing streamers use squirrel or buck tail as well as any other long hair, even baby doll hair or fun fur as a wing over a tinsel or pearlescent or chromatic body. Sometimes you can put a throat skirt on it like a nymph or even a tail for attraction.

Hackle wing streamers where you can use the same flashy body, or non flashy body and match(pair) a couple hackle feathers for a wing.

From there you have thunderheads, zonkers and muddlers as others describe.

I'd start with hair wings, bick tail is cheap and a natural bucktail will give you what you need for Black nosed dace. Look the pattern up. You just need the bucktail and some tinsel.

Streamers are great for fresh stocked trout and during high water conditions or when the water is a little cloudy.

I guess I should say the obligitory " just throw them across and downstream and let them swing.....and HOLD ON!

Whiting bugger packs, chenille, wire. Get various colors, and fill a box with just buggers.

try tying up a bouface see pattern here, I've tied a few of these and will be trying them soon... I'll keep you all posted with my results

http://home.centurytel.net/gigharborflyfisher/public_html/bbouface.html

also don't foget the bunny leech...

http://home.centurytel.net/gigharborflyfisher/public_html/bunnyleech.html

While considering streamers, I'd also recommend picking up some barbell eyes {clouser eyes}. They come in a myriad of materials, from tungsten, to nickel, to lead, as well a variety of weights.

I tie them onto woolybuggers, as well I will use standard clouser style patterns tied with bucktail, not to mention a 1\2 &1\2 incorporating hackle for the tail.

Sized accordingly, they hold low in the column on the swing when currents are running heavy, they can get down in pools, and in the right size and colors behave very much akin to a darter.

A favorite technique of mine that I employ to cover alot of water and probe for aggressive fish, or to trigger strikes, is to quarter the cast upstream and mend to get it down as quickly as possible. Once it has made contact with the bottom, I'll throw a big parachute mend downstream, and strip as needed to make the fly swim broadside to the fish across the current. On the strip it rises in the column, on a tight line it holds the column, and on a loose semi-tight line it dives. By varying stripping technique, length, and speed, a multitude of looks can be imparted to the pattern. Not to mention, when swinging the pattern broadside with a belly in the line, when a fish takes, the energy is cushioned by the belly, so a lighter tippet may be used to get down and break offs are reduced.

I know a highly effective pattern to use on the Deleware when the alewives and blueback herring are migrating, is a white zonker tied upside down with a hole poked in the skin to push the hook point through, and clouser eyes at the head. Some very large fish fall to that pattern.

Very effective means of working the lower levels of the column.

Hope this is helpful.

Tightlines!!!

I often use bead chain on my streamers. You can get a few feet at a reasonable price at just about any hardware store. I am partial to the silver bead chain.

I too use bead chain on my streamers, and all of my buggers.

I have never had to buy any though; I just find it or steal it off something else in the house.

I use silver too, but I have also let some rust (It takes a few weeks) and these look cool too -- I mostly use them on crayfish patterns.

I do have some hot pink and black bead chain as well.

Remember anytime you put weight on top of the hook shank it will turn over, tie your flies accordingly..

Back