Streamer Box

mute

mute

As you can tell, i dont streamer fish too much, not too great at it. What usually happens is ill throw 2 or 3 casts, get a fishes attention to follow it for a while then he turns away. Then after that he wont care. And if i do get one to hit it, i dont set it correctly beacuse its on and off.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 7
Streamers are for covering water. When you fish one, don't target a specific fish. You are looking for the active ones with streamers. Fish them quickly and aggressively, walking the banks and covering water. It's just like fishing a spinner.

I disagree...mostly because I fish them so often. I have targeted specific fish as well as specific lies that are know to hold fish. Yes, they are great for covering a lot of water and I do that often. But I do that with dries as well. And nymphing is nothing but covering a holding area.

I agree with Jay and Tom! :-D

Tom,

Good point. I don't usually target a specific fish, but I'm sure it could work... it just never has for me. When I target a fish, I prefer to nymph to him. I shouldn't have said not to do it.

What streamers are on the bottom right?

and I am a firm believer you will do better getting down deep and letting the current work em-most hits come as they start an upswing and across current move-wet flies with baitfish shape-TETO

I just think that if you say certain flies are only for one purpose you pass on a lot of opportunities and methods to catch fish. No biggie..

Yeah, I think all them flies would be better used on bigger water that is off color.

If you are targeting fish with streamers it is better to go small and mimic smaller baitfish like Muddlers and hairwing dace or hackle wing streamers like black ghost or grey ghosts. Shenks minnows too. All those flies are too big and freaky looking to fool a trout in clear water or up close. They will follow but mostly out of curiousity. Also, trout do not often target baitfish in clear water during hte middle of the day. Its an ambush type predation requiring low light or low visibility water conditions.

My rule is if I can see the fish I quit fishing streamers. That couls mean the water is clear or I cannot stay far enough away to avoid the trout seeing me onthe retrieve.

Remember that once a fish sees you while following the fly, it becomes cautious. You don't get many chances. At this point you are better suited to fish something similar to their natural prey.

I pretty much agree with Maurice but don't be afraid to chuck the bigger ones in small streams when the conditions allow it (higher/off color water), you'll be surprised.

jeff

Back