Stimulator

dc410

dc410

I have spent a few evenings at the vise lately. It has been a long time since I tied any stimulators. Here is a yellow stimulator that I tied on a size 12 3XL curved shank Mustad hook using elk hair for the tail and wings. I am going to put this size fly in my brookie box and try to go after some brookies up top this upcoming season. This is an all around awesome pattern with so many different variations for different types of fishing. I thought maybe some folks could offer up some of their favorite sizes and colors of this pattern that they use for different hatches or types of fishing throughout the year.

Attachments

• Stimulator 1.jpg
    Stimulator 1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 14
A lot of people, I find, have trouble with this fly, but you have got it down! Great tie! I love them for dry-dropper and use them primarily in 16's, let us know how you do!

That looks really good. I know a bunch of guys up on the Delaware use them in size 6 and 8 as a dry dropper. I have been meaning to do the same when we float it, but whenever I think about doing it, a hatch starts.

I like Stimmys in all different sizes and colors. I like big ones around a size 6 or 8 tied in yellow and black to imitate golden stoneflies in the spring. Dc410, that is a nice tie. What kind of hook are you using? Is that a curved nymph hook or a dry fly hook?

John, that is a very nice fly.
The yellow ones are my favorite.

Thanks guys.

Gaeron - I have some size 14 hooks in that style but I don't have any 16's. To be quite honest tying a size 16 would kind of spook me. That's a lot happening on a size 16 hook. Although, it would probably be a great imitation for a little yellow Sally.

Nick - I tied it on a Mustad C53S. STD/3XL size 12. It's a curved hook with a straight eye.

Thanks DC, I need to purchase some hooks... I am running low. I tried tying some recently on some curved nymph hooks and I think the way they hit the water or sit in the film causes them to break the surface film and sink pretty quickly.

Nicely tied DC! Orange and yellow are great colors for stimis. I also tie an olive version that works well as a hopper imitation. There is a J Stockard hook called an all purpose hook that works well
Mike.

If you are coming this way for brookies tie it 14's and 16's too. A size 6 olive body brown wing version works for the big stonefly here.

When fishing brookie streams and using a # 12 I've found using that size keeps the dinks away. I always cast first where I believe the big fish are, under tree roots, the heads of the pools that sort of thing. More often then not the big ones are in those locations. Yes you'll catch fewer fish, but they'll be nice ones.
Every brookie stream has big fish you just have to know how and where to catch them.
Great tie, that reminds me, I've got to tie some.

Tight tie dc. As impressive of a stimulator as I've seen anywhere.

The fly looks great. Yellow is my favorite color too. My favorite size is #14, followed by size 12.

I've used them as large as size 10, which on a long shank hook is about the size of my thumb. They will catch fish when the water is very high. But most times going too big starts to reduce the catch rate, IMHO.

The best time to fish them is after a thunderstorm has brought the water up and a little off color. They work really well for the wild browns in mountain streams in that situation.

Also, on a cutthroat trout fishing trip to Colorado, I used Stimulators nearly the whole time and they worked great.

We stopped at a fly shop outside Rocky Mountain Park, and it seemed like about 50% of their fly inventory was Stimulators.

Well done DC.
I've pretty much gone over to the synthetic materials dark side and use foam when it comes to big terrestrials and dries that are used in hopper-dropper rigs. Nevertheless, it's still tough to beat traditional materials and stimulators. They're durable and float higher on the water than foam.
Good stuff.

And +1 to Troutbert's point about big dries on mountain freestoners during high water. I think this is esp true in late spring and summer.

I often leave the hackle off of the abdomen. I know it is no longer a stimulator but forget what the name is. Size 14 is about right for trout here in Shenandoah NP.

Great looking fly. I am a little jealous it's nicer than one of mine. I have caught some really nice fish while prospecting with a stimulater on the Lehigh. Love to fish the gorge.

gencon

Back