Shark's Caddis Larva

njk3395

njk3395

Just came across this simple, yet surprisingly realistic looking. It looks similar to the larva I tie with rubber gloves, but I think it looks even better in the water.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/sharks-caddis-larva/

I've seen that before, I never tried it, they look realistic.

I've seen that article before as well. I tied some up but can't get the wraps tight enough to look that nice but should still work.

That is a sweet looking pattern, remarkably realistic looking. Is that the antron being used as the foundation, then the dubbing is placed in the split end and twisted up and around the hook?

I use it often. I find olive to the most useful, with a black tungsten bead. Its a great pattern. Chartreuse is also good.

P4010011.JPG

btw, it is antron. You have to twist in the direction consistent with the direction that you wrap to get the segmentation right. For the bigger sizes, use two pieces of antron. For the smaller ones, split a single piece.

I made these years ago.
Frankly, regular old hare's ear and some copper rib always worked just as good.

I use it in green and it works quite well.

(i think i meant to say hareline and not hare's ear, whatever, but it will lead to confusion, and is see the edit option expires way quicker)

I've seen that main picture all over the internet, but never found how to tie them. I'll be doing this soon. Go around a 14 and rib it with some black thread and it'd be a great grannom imitation!

I tie it in a size 12 for steelhead, and it works great. Caught a 9# male this weekend on one. I am tying some in olive also for my upcoming trip to spring/penns. Neat fly.
D

If someone want's to do a video that would be awesome. Maybe I am missing something but I can NEVER get it to look right. I feel like he skips a step on the site

Mine never laid as right, but I think the real key is getting the amount of antron right, and the dubbing loop of hair inside it.

I'm kind of surprised at the trouble with the segmentation. Are you guys using hackle pliers or fingers? I always use fingers, and I continue twisting the antron after each wrap...

often i put a little wax one of the antron strands to help the dubbing stick.

upon re-reading the comments, i notice something that the author poorly phrases... He doesn't split the antron and then insert dubbing and twist, he actually ties it bck and creates a couple inch loop at the tail, then does a completely normal dubbing loop.

ain't that something. iw onder if that makes it any easier.

I just split it, then twisted it in with the dubbing and got semi-good segmentation. Not as good as the author's, but it is pretty good in my opinion.

In tying these this winter, I split the antron and put my dubbing in like a dubbing loop. Then twist the antron really tight, and I added more twists to the antron as I wrapped the body. The tighter the twist on the antron the better the wrap. I also used hackle pliers to hold the antron as the antron tended to slip in my fingers and loosen the twist.

Guys- I started tying these last year. We had a thread here about them. The fly worked very well for me. I use Gary LaFontaine antron which is delicate yarn of four strands.

http://www.thebookmailer.com/Supplies/SparkleYarn.html

For a size 12 I separate two strands, and dub with a light, but not too light, hares ear dubbing. For 14 and smaller I take one strand and split it and insert the dubbing.

They really do look very realistic. Their "yellow" is almost cream and with the darker dubbing is very close in color to the average cream colored caddis pupae. I use a dark bead head, not a gold bead head.

There's a pretty good video tutorial on youtube if you search for it, or check the comments at the bottom of the link posted above.

I tried tying them last night and I noticed that my sections are way more narrow than the ones in the picture. I think I'll have to try more Antron. It is a great looking bug, that's for sure.

Hey guys, how are you? I just went to the vise and tried this sucker and got it...first shot. (Sorry if it comes across as braggerish) And I have decided I will make a video for you guys on this at some point today! :)

Back