scud

djmyers

djmyers

What size and what colors do you guys use for your scuds?

gray & olive - size 16 mostly

scotto wrote:
gray & olive - size 16 mostly

Yep. I tie 'em in 14, 18, and very occasionally 20 too. With and without beads.

I really prefer to buy scuds though. Mine never come out right.

14 and 12 and usually tan or olive...sometimes with pink or orange in the middle.

I use 16 olive -- but I never catch fish on them so I don't use them much.

MKern wrote:
I use 16 olive -- but I never catch fish on them so I don't use them much.

Not even in spring creek? Wow.

Give them a try. I don't think I've fished anything but at least one scud in tandem, or as the primary fly in my last three trips up there.

jay,

I try them often, but never seem to catch anything. I keep tring because I know that I should be, but after a buch of cast, I will switch to something that favors me.

Now cress bugs are a differnet story.

what's the difference between a scud and a cress bug? Do they live in the same stream? What's the difference in patterns?

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/nqento/part23.php

My sowbug pattern isn't much more than a ball of dubbing, but there are plenty of patterns out there on the internet.

Not to hijack, but does anyone know if there are scuds in the lower (tailwater DHALO) tully?

Just bought a bunch of material for #16 and #18 olive scuds. The internet is sprinkled with different ways to tie scuds, so I'll pose the beginner's question here:

Do you use ratty, coarse dubbing or do you tie in a hackle for the legs?

trouthunting wrote:
Just bought a bunch of material for #16 and #18 olive scuds. The internet is sprinkled with different ways to tie scuds, so I'll pose the beginner's question here:

Do you use ratty, coarse dubbing or do you tie in a hackle for the legs?

http://www.umpqua.com/pc-1051-46-sowscud-dubbing.aspx

Pick it out on the underside. I got it at FFP. You can probably order it.

Thanks Jay for the site. Had some great info. After reading that though, it says to use a straight hook. Which hook does everyone use, the curved nymph hook or a straight one?

Scuds look like a shrimp. Cressbugs (also called sowbugs) are wide and thin. Check out this website for actual pictures.

http://www.troutnut.com/

Both scuds and cressbugs live in weeds. Sometimes you will see a "resourceful" trout swimming/shaking inside a clump of weeds (or even grabbing and pulling the weeds with his mouth) and then swimming downstream and feasting on the scuds, sowbugs and nymphs it dislodged.

Cressbugs are also a bit larger than a scud. Scuds generally are in the 16-20 range (but some are 12-14) and cresbugs are generally in the 12-16 range.

Color and size is important when imitating. Scuds actually turn a lighter color (pinkish to light tangerine/amber) when they molt their shell and turn a darker pink/orange when they are about to die. The easiest way to determine the right size and color is to pull up some weeds at your favorite stream and see what you find. Go from there.

Also, scuds can swim (they dart through the water), while cresbugs, once dislodged, tend to drift freely in the current until they can grab onto something again.

You can tie scuds either using a standard 2x nymph hook and add movement by quick little twitches (swimming and darting) or you can tie them on curved hooks and fish them dead drift.

I have heard that generally the color of scuds relates to what they eat since they are translucent and the color is a function of the matter in their stomach/intestine. Therefore, on a spring creek with lots of vegetation you may be more apt to find scuds with a little bit more olive color than in other places. The scuds I find at Valley are generally more of a grayish color which may make sense because there isn't a lot of aquatic vegetation, but I still find myself fishing olive more often than not.

I tie my cress bugs on caddis curve hooks.
I place lead on the hooks and squeeze it flat with needle nose pliers. Then I dub a thin layer of dubbing forward, a thin layer back, and finish with a slightly thicker layer forward. I use rod winding thread as rib and medial line. I then pick out the dubbing with a t-needle or bodkin and trim it short. It looks really flat and gilly.

yeah they're in the tully.

djmyers wrote:
What size and what colors do you guys use for your scuds?

I use mostly 16-18 and have seen them size 20 on the LLH. Curved hook and I always tie in lead on mine. I used to tie a little marabou in for a tail and at the head but have found it isn't crucial. I catch trout at Valley all the time on scuds I tie without the the marabou. I almost always use grey antron and silver wire although you can also use monofilament too. Just tie in your dubbing of choice in loose on your thread so you can pick it out!! Some people say to use a dubbing twister. I have done it both ways and personally like to tie without the twister.

I concur wuth JayL on scuds and Spring Creek. I also had some muskrat nymphs that worked pretty well there too. I think the muskrat imitates both a cressbug and a scud prett well.

djmyers,

Tie a couple muskrat nymphs up too. All you have to do is dub muskrat on a hook and that's it...leave the guard hairs on too. You can throw a bead on it too if you like. I got about ten years worth of muskrat on ebay for 5 bucks I think. Muskrat also makes good heads for midges!!! Sorry I am rambling now...I knew I should not have had the quad espresso after the 24 oz coffee....too late now!!!!!!!!!!!

To clarify I also use olive antron for olive scuds. I never really used pink scuds but have heard they turn that color after their dead. Don't know for certain though.

found this, its pretty informative..

http://business.virgin.net/british.classic/nymphs-pinkscud.htm

Back