Quick BWO question

jayL

jayL

I have some dubbing recipes for various bugs. The problem is that they differentiate all of the BWOs by latin names.

Which species is/will soon be hatching on limestoners like spring creek?

I understand that the same color will probably cover all of them, but I am starting to enjoy this imitative tying stuff.

How are your comparaduns coming Jay? You trying them out or are you still wussing out with hair wings and cdc??

My comparaduns are fine. I tied a ton of GD, sulpur, and BWOs.

CDC comparaduns are harder to tie than traditionals, IMO. They are just quicker.

Hell, I even tied some catskills to make my box look legit. I doubt I'll ever use them though.

Lets see some pictures Im looking for a good BWO pattern as well

Jay,
According to the book Mayflies, Beatis is the Genus. Size 18 -- 22.

I have have had a ton of luck with a size 16 or 18 parachute on Spring this time of year and into the coming months.

My fly of choice would be and 18 parachute (dark dun tails, hackle and chute; light to medium olive body).

Keep in mind that one package of superfine dubbing may be a different color that another with the same label.

I am no expert on Baetis but this guy at FFP seems to have hit them on Spring Creek fairly often over the years. Under Tying articles, select:

The Icebreaker-The March Baetis Hatch

http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/articles_display.php?category=Tying_Articles&archive=true

The article is missing a a picture or two (the parachute) from when the original came out on the old site and the pictures that are there are small. But I think the verbiage is all there as well as the recipes.

Good stuff. Thanks.

baetis divinctus is what you are looking for i think , i use dark olive dubbing for the body , blue dun tail and hackle tied parachute with poly yarn.

Jay-

Great minds think alike. I was just going to make a post on Baetis. My box of baetis gets me more fish per year I think than anything. I was going to make a tutorial on the fly I tie, and then I found this website. This is almost identical to what I tie.

He makes this baetis float low by lifting the tail, and clipping the bottom of the hackle. I tied up a bunch like that. I do use a wing, antron, single post. I read a thing on light refraction and what trout see, and if the author was correct they see the wing first.

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/bwos/

Also, to fill you box of olives, I do not know of a better reference than these pics. I tie quite a few of these, not all, but quite a few.

http://www.depuyspringcreek.com/FlyPages/BaetisPatterns.htm

JG

Great stuff guys

Great link.

For what its worth, I bought a sampler of Delaware River Club's Caucci/Nastasi Spectrumized dubbing. It's made with primary colors + white. It all looks yellow to me, but when it gets wet, I'll be damned if it's not spot on. It came with a series of cards explaining which species and stage each color covers.

http://www.thedelawareriverclub.com/flyshop/dubbing-assortment-p-125.html

Here is a pic of a cripple I started tying this winter.

Attachments

• IMGP0033_resize.JPG
    IMGP0033_resize.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 2
My favorite box of flies is my little box of olives. I don't leave home without it, regardless of where I am fishing...

baetis1.jpg

baetis2.jpg

Great looking flies Jersey

For what it's worth I picked a BWO dun off the water last friday that had a slate grey wing and a pale yellow body with a hint of olive.

Today I picked one off with almost a black wing and traditional olive brown body.

I'm sure different trout key in on different features on any given day I would assume whatever is most available.

Nice looking flies jg.

I've seen bodies on BWO's ranging in shades of yellow, to light and dark green, and even almost black.
However, I make all of mine a grayish green - or olive - color, and they work fine.
On #18 and #20 BWO's, I usually just wind the bodies with olive thread - no dubbing

JG, i`ve been to that fly shop on the depuy, probably the smallest flyshop i`ve ever been in ... that emerger thats in the top left of the pics is a killer

jay i`ve been using the spectrum dubbing from the DRC, for a few yrs now and your right it all looks the same till you get it wet, i even had to make sure i didn`t mix my flies up cause they looked the same lol.... the late bob nastasi was an graphic artist and art teacher he used only a certain colors from the color spectrum to acheive his results...if you buy the dubbing in packs it has the color combo listed for that color on the sticker

dryflyguy, i do the same with olive 8/0 uni-thread. I tie a lot of comparaduns but I'll take a pinch olive/brown antron dubbing to fatten up the thorax and dam up the deer hair. when that thread gets wet, it looks just like the olives that i have seen....

jeff

Back