Pheasant skin

odizz17

odizz17

Soooo I picked up a pheasant skin today. Anyone use these for soft hackles or other patterns? I kinda like the colors on it. Any specific patterns?

Lots of neat stuff and possibilities. The tail feather fibers are a standard in the "Pheasant Tail Nymph." I like the fancy marked feathers on the back for decorative salmon flies and classic style feather wing streamers. If hardened with some epoxy, they make nice stonefly wing cases. I've never tried using the small, green head feathers as soft hackles for tiny wet flies or midge pupa, but they might work well. Female pheasant skins (or grouse) are better for soft hackle applications IMO.

I use the dark head feathers of the R-N as hackle on the Stewart's black spider in size 14 or 16.

On the rump (not the tail) of the male pheasant is a patch of feathers with a slight greenish tint. I use these as a palmered hackle on a soft hackle pattern called the "six-pack" which is a variation on the Carey's Special. It takes three of these feathers to fully palmer a size 10 or 12 hook. I use the fly for panfish.

the rump feathers are great for collars on larger streamers
their stiffness allows for a nice soft/flowing over wing

the orange is pheasant
365335ea.jpg

also with some cement or sally hansens, the rump feathers make a nice crawfish shell back

Nice Wooly bugger. Is that your tie?

yup

back to front...
pheasant rump
black schlappen
pearl mylar
spun loop black arctic fox
pheasant rump

back to the OP
you could easily add ostrich/marabou/hackle tips over the pheasant and they would not collapse

Is that some sort of tube fly? I don't see a bend and point of hook.

tube fly
on a needle for the pic

A Pheasant Tail ICSI in size 20 is a killer midge.

Joe E

Nice fly ramcatt. I am going to have get some of those feathers.

Back