Parachute Technique

T

tctrout

For all of you Chancy Lively fans out there (and for those who have no idea who I'm talking about!), I created a new video on YouTube showing how to tie parachutes with monofilament. This is a very easy and effective way to secure parachute hackle, and makes for an extremely realistic fly. Enjoy!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPZGfIJljvc[/youtube]

Looks like he doesn't like the chartreuse chenille body.

I love magic. Another winner

Nice video Tim. Do you know of that method is the same as what Chauncy called the spirulator? I have an article he wrote on making a special tool that he used to hackle the spirulator which was a parachute on the underside of the thorax. I can dig I up and scan if your interested. I'm not sure who first tied parachutes in this style, but there were some interesting post-free parachutes tied by a Catskill guy named Dud Soper. He would use the butt of the feather as the post and then tie it off behind the eye.
Mike.

Thanks for that. I've read about the technique before and could never quite visualize it. Pretty cool.

FrequentTyer wrote:
Do you know of that method is the same as what Chauncy called the spirulator? I have an article he wrote on making a special tool that he used to hackle the spirulator which was a parachute on the underside of the thorax. I can dig I up and scan if your interested.

Are you talking about the Fly Tyer article on how to make the spirulator style hackles?

I remember trying the spirulator when I first read that article many years ago. It produces a rather elegant fly but man is it a PITA. This technique in Tim's video is far simpler and quicker, but significantly different too.

how do you get equal distribution of hackle around the mono?

there didnt seem to be any hackle in the eye of the hook area

maybe my eyes didnt catch it

PennKev wrote:

Are you talking about the Fly Tyer article on how to make the spirulator style hackles?

I remember trying the spirulator when I first read that article many years ago. It produces a rather elegant fly but man is it a PITA. This technique in Tim's video is far simpler and quicker, but significantly different too.

Maybe. I looked and I don't actually have the article but the instructions for using the spirulator tool from Eric Leiser. I rember the article showed how to make a tool from a large sewing needle. Its like a shepherd's crook with an eye at the end. I made the tool and tied a few but can't remember details. I'm just curious about how the process developed.

nfrechet wrote:
how do you get equal distribution of hackle around the mono?

there didnt seem to be any hackle in the eye of the hook area

maybe my eyes didnt catch it

Thanks for the feedback, all. To answer this question, that's why I start with two turns completely around the loop, and then a few around just one piece of the looped monofilament. When the tag end is pulled, it's simply pulling the loop to the top of the thorax, not the eye, which is why the hackle remains there.

Regarding the Spirulator, I know very little. I remember it being made from a needle, like mentioned, but that's about it. It appeared a little complicated, but I never took the time to experiment.

I've been told that this method in the video was used by both Chauncy and Roy Christie; you can find videos of Roy employing the technique at the rear of the hook for his emerger. It's a slick method and does secure the hackle very well. If you believe in the strong wing profile, as Marinaro was, then the cut wings should be added; otherwise, it's very simple and easy to add to an already effective fly.

Tim

Spiralator

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=68191

Back