New Vise - First Tie

djs12354

djs12354

Having decided that these old eyes can see well enough to try this tying thing, I quickly decided that a better vise was required if I was going to continue at this.

I ordered a Renzetti Traveler through my local fly shop (A & G Outfitters) and it finally arrived this week.

This is my second tie on it - first one went into the "good enough for my brother" box. :).

Size 14 Dai-Riki with rusty brown dubbing and natural comparadun.

Bash away! I won't improve without constructive criticism.

Attachments

• Brown Comparadun.jpg
    Brown Comparadun.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 8
Dave my only "constructive" criticism would be that the wings still need to be slightly farther back. Other than that, be proud my man!

looks good to me. it'll definitely catch fish. nice vise too.

Congrats on the new vise, I love new stuff! Tails on there are perfection nice angle, like said scooch that wing back a tad. You're progressing nicely.

Looks like you may have cut the micro fibits. I'm no expert but from what I understand you want the original tapper on the end. Not that the trouts care.

Nice fly! And welcome to the wonderful world of vise collection.

the renzetti traveler is a nice vise to tie on and its my choice also, but i dont think it had much to do in your ability to tie a fly. you tie a nice looking fly.

judging from the following examples the wing looks to be ok

https://www.google.com/search?q=comparadun&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Hu1fUaudCY-o4APU4oGwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=732

however, the wing looks to be a little vertical so i would fan it out more (and it may be fanned out but your foto doesnt show it that way). something like this

finished_comparadun_2.jpg

the tails dont seem to be microfibbetts cuz if they were you would hardly see them

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Fox and Lv2 - Working on getting the hair further back and avoiding crowding the eye. Tied some more last night and was batting 59%. Guess my brother's fly box will get well stocked :)

PAparise - Tibbets were cut-offs from a previous tie. Figure I can use them as I work on technique and conserve materials.

Frequent - Not intending to start a vise collection. In fact my plan is to offer up the previous vise to a newbie to help them decide if they want tie or not.

Turkey - Thanks. Only tied a couple on it and am much happier sitting at the bench.

Nfrechet - Thanks - The wing does fan out, nicely, I think and does not show well from the angle in the pick. As to the tails, I'v tied a couple with the yarn used in your photo and go back in forth as to which I like better. The yarn type tails are easier to tie in and can be trimmed to the desired length in comparison to the proper way to the tibbets.

Thanks to all.

Looks mighty nice to me.
One of the problems new tiers often exhibit is a tendency to tie their flies (esp dry flies) too thick or with too much material. Yours looks good.

Fishidiot wrote:
Looks mighty nice to me.
One of the problems new tiers often exhibit is a tendency to tie their flies (esp dry flies) too thick or with too much material. Yours looks good.

FI,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm lucky to have two mentors working semi-closely with me. Moonbeam and the Heritage Angler have been guiding me in my fly-tying journey, as well as the application on the water!

That's not to mention all the support from everyone when I post pictures of one of my efforts.

Also had luck today with two of my efforts, this fly being one of them, with the final critics swimming in the Little Lehigh!

Dave

I like the bug and the vise. I've been tying on a traveler prob 15-20 yrs. Still holds the hooks!
D

djs12354 wrote:
PAparise - Tibbets were cut-offs from a previous tie. Figure I can use them as I work on technique and conserve materials.

paletina_nylon_4024.gran.jpg

Dave,

Nice looking tie! Looks like you got that hair stacker working well.

Back