Material storage

P

PSH

What is the best way to store feathers and fur? Glass jars? Plastic bags? How do you protect them from moths and other creatures? Moth balls? Cedar?

I got some sterilite drawers, a few 8.5x11 3 drawer and a few smaller ones with 5. Maybe 25 bucks total at a big chain store, and I built a full tying station on my desk.

I have never seen a moth in my house, so I don't worry about it. I use freezer bags to store loose feathers or finer hackles.

I keep fur and feathers in individual bags then sorted- dry necks, wet necks and backs, small fur, large fur,etc.- in larger seperate freezer bags, then the whole mess in a large -3 foot square- zip storage bag which I periodically dose with moth crystals. Keep found remains quarantined for a good long while so as not to contaminate your other stuff. I've never seen a moth in my house either but I put my wedding/funeral suit on the other week and it was riddled with holes. nuff said

Interesting.

I think that I haven't lived in the same place for more than two years (over the last 8) contributes to the fact that I don't worry about moths. Nothing stays in storage that long.

I'll definitely follow that advice when I get a more permanent living situation.

Ziplock bags, normally the ones the stuff came in.

I've got a couple of big Sterlite tubs I put everything natural in, and each one has some mothballs thrown in with them.

There's some Sterlite drawers on my desk that holds the synthetic stuff.

I've drawn plans for a, portable, walnut cabinet for my capes. The inside will be lined with cedar, dovetail joints with a piano hinge door. Cedar works for well keeping the bugs out but not as sturdy as walnut.

Usually it's packaging.

If I get it from someone, ziploc freezer bags and in sterilites.
My desk is littered with them too.

The only bug I've ever found on my desk was a green drake I brought home to show my wife. I thought it was dead, but managed to craw away (without a head). I found it last week in a back corner of my desk.

Back