LIGHTING

osprey

osprey

What kind of lighting set up do y'all use for fly tying? I use a gooseneck 60 watt incandescent shining in from the leftside , an adjustable , draftsman type , 60 watt incandescent shining in from the rightside , and a double 3' fluorescent above , shining straight down (located directly above the bench) To finish though i gotta say that tying outside in the natural sunlight when i can is easiest on the eyes.

I have one of those Daylight Lamps over top my vise. Seems to work very well. I picked it up at Cabelas a few years ago.

Ron

I have a Daylight natural light with a magnifier lens over my vise. I also have a regular lamp above the table to add light to the whole table.

Regular old desk lamp with a 15w (I think?) CFL in it.

Previous to that, it was the same regular old desk lamp with a 75 watt daylight spectrum bulb.

Dual adjustable desk lamps.

I don't use any lighting besides the ceiling light in the room I tie in. I have fantastic eye sight (not to brag) and don't really see a need for it. It's a bit more relaxing to tie when it's not too bright.

I installed a gooseneck style light on the wall beside where I tie. It definitely helps to see the details of the fly better. Then again, anything is better than the kitchen light I used to tie under.

I use a floor lamp with 3 bulbs; all facing my vise.

The ceiling light helps.

My Dad always suggested that I get one of those magnifying glasses, but my eyes are excellent. However, last xmas he bought my one with a flourecent bulb build in. That light is so bright.

I tie on a secretaries desk (closes up nicely to keep the cats out of my stuff) and use a desktop gooseneck lamp on either side of the top of the desk so there really aren't too many shadows. I have a 40W bulb on the right and a compact flourescent really bright bulb on the other. No magnifiers yet.

I don't use any lighting besides the ceiling light in the room I tie in. I have fantastic eye sight (not to brag) and don't really see a need for it. It's a bit more relaxing to tie when it's not too bright.

yeah thats what i said way back then, then i could'nt see anymore. went to magnifier, and bifocals.. ryfiguy, do your self a favor and use better light and a magnifier, you'll thank me some day...

I use one of those ring light magnifiers on the adjustable arm. It works well. More light than necessary I'm sure, but it is what I'm used to.

JayL........it took me awhile to figure out that "dual" is very important , i think it's cool you put that in there.

I am a firm believer in doing some thing, right, once..After lot's of research ended up with a dual lamp Giraffe, cream, steel base with glass...I bought it about 4 years ago, one of the best purchases I ever made, no shadows...I would also suggest daylight bulbs...

This is the light that I use its top notch
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20534&id=0030038318421a&navCount=2&podId=0030038&parentId=cat20534&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I like the Ott Light, desk top.

http://www.ott-lite.com/c-39-desktable.aspx

i use a floor lamp , full spectrum lighting , its a lil pricey though
www.FullSpectrumSolutions.com

Frederick..........a hunderd beans for a lamp , it is nice though , i wouldn't have figured you'd spend that much on a lamp but you is serious about this thing. NICE.

I only paid 80 for mine 2 years ago . But I still think its worth the money .

I tie on my couch with only the glow of the tv for light. I like a challenge ;)

I have never really thought about the lighting I use until recently. I currently sit at a table below a ceiling fan with 4 bulbs in it. I have found that the lighting is basically terrible when I don't get natural light from my windows, but I did not know what would be better. Those lamps from Cabela's look good. I may have to get one of those.

BTW, celing fans do not make a conducive environment with tying materials around.

Does anyone use any solid color backdrops behind their vise to help see the fly better? Are some colors better than others when used with table lighting?

Back