Improved Deer Hair Emerger

mattofcarlisle

mattofcarlisle

Hi all. First time posting a pic, and possibly first time I generated a topic...

I first read about this pattern over 10 years ago in Fly Rod & Reel, so I don't know who developed it. After fishing it for a while, I've made a few "improvements" to overcome a few flaws.
The original had spikey hare's mask dubbing throughout, and a simple deer hair wing tied in tips forward. My initial flies would float for a fish or two, then sink. Sometimes they would land on their side. Often, the wing would creep forward, until it was pointed forward over the eye at a 45 degree angle.

I still dub hare's mask until I reach the mid-point of the hook, then I progressively add more superfine in the mix with the hare's mask. The original, once wet, would gain enough weight to sink the whole fly. I tie in the deer hair wing with the tips to the rear, trim the butts, then post the wing with more dubbing behind. In front of the wing, I tie in a thin strip of 1.5 mm foam, a black hackle, and two strips of peacock.
I wrap the foam, tie off an eye's length behind the eye. Wrap the peacock around the thread making a rope, and wrap forward. Lastly, make 3 turns of hackle to the eye & tie off. Whip finish & trim the hackle on the bottom.

The foam adds additional bouyancy, allowing you to trail a small bead head beneath. The hackle aids in the fly riding upright, rather than on it's side. After tying it on your tippet, grease the wing and peacok, and the area just behind the wing. Enjoy

Matt

mattofcarlisle wrote:
I first read about this pattern over 10 years ago in Fly Rod & Reel, so I don't know who developed it.

Fran Betters' "Haystack."

The guy in the article may have referenced the Haystack, but he was presenting the DHE as a new pattern. Hans Weilenmann ties it here:
http://www.flytierspage.com/steps/dhe/dhe.htm
and has a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOseyo9SaEE&safe=active

Does Cauicci & Nastasi reference the Haystack in Hatches II? Their comparadun looks like a Haystack w/out the hair tail.

Call it what you want, Johnny Utah, but at the end of the day its still a Haystack.

As is the comparadun.

Huh. I was just presenting a pattern I've fished for the past 10 years, and works well. I found the issue of FR&R - Bob Wyatt was the fellas name.

BTW - I don't surf, nor work for the FBI (ie. Point Blank reference).

I recognize that Wyatt tie. The D.H.E, and D.H.E. 2. Awesome lloking pattern and fairly simple.

I don't think the foam is going to add much to this pattern. Especially since it it such a small piece and it is compressed when wound around the hook. Compressed foam sucks in terms of floatation.

Matt, I think gfen's reference might be a fly fishing reference:

Utah's Fly Corner

But for me, Point Break is a terrible movie that I just can't stop watching whenever I find it on. My tow favorite lines:

"You're goin' down Johnny!" and "I am an FBI agent!"

Thanks, Steve. I wasn't aware there was a fly fishing/tying reference there. Not sure why gfen compared me to him. I just thought I'd share something that works for a guy that's been tying and fishing over 25 years.

Don't let it get to you , it's just the internet. You're following a long tradition of taking an idea and modifying it to your own use. It's not my sort of fly but it's nice that you posted it, someone may use a part of it on a fly they tie.

Well that's exactly right, it's what the tying section's all about. Imho

If you think that's a haystack, you might as well say its a comparadun too. Sure it has similarities, but just as many differences. The haystack is a dry fly, tied on a standard dry fly hook, has a tail, does not have a well defined thorax or hackle, and Betters used woodchuck. But it does have some orange thread showing, so I understand the confusion.
It's a nice pattern, and call it what you want. I agree the foam won't do much for you. It looks like it will present a nice profile but won't float for long. You could try a bit of snowshoe in the thorax or the wing. That will make the Betters fans happy.
Mike.

Back