hook ?

bushwacker

bushwacker

How important is it to use nymph hooks or dry fly hooks? Do you really need both, or can you tie a nymph on a lighter dry hook and just add weight. I've had both in the past, just wondering if I really need two kinds of the same size hooks. Has anyone tied nymphs on dry hooks. Any pros/cons involved here.

You can tie on dry fly hooks, I often do that rather than buying the same style hook with the wet/nymph version being made of heavier wire. For example I use a ton of scud hooks for nymphs and emergers. I use TMC 2487s (fine wire), instead of 2457's (heavy wire), that way I can tie both nymphs and emergers with the same hook. Also you can use smaller beads on the fine wire version of the hook.

The downside is that the dry won't sink as fast, but I just add a little lead weight, usually a couple wraps of lead wire when tying nymphs. One other thing, if you fish for real beast trout, like on the "D" River, or fish for steelies, those bad boys can straighten out a fine wire hook in a split second. But like I said, I do it all the time.

I think it is more important to use dry fly hooks for dry flies just to keep it floating longer...the heavier hooks will take the fly under quicker.

With using dry fly hooks for nymphs...it can certainly be done because you can add weight to the line, but...
The heavier hook will help get the fly down to the fish quicker.
The "same size hook" can have different lengths dry to wet, style to style, and manufacturer to manufacturer.
Fishing under the water you will get more hang-ups...a lighter dry fly hook will bend quicker, so you have to go through more flies and waste time re-tying.
You want (at least I want) my nymphs to have a wider profile than my dries, and the extra mass of the hook helps that (by you can add a few wraps of lead, too).

I've never switched them, but using a dry fly hook as a nymph hook would penetrate better into the fish's mouth.

These guys hit some prettty good points (no pun intended). Using a dry fly hook as a nymph hook is no big deal. I typically don't do it since dry hooks are made with a finer wire that tends to get dull quicker when bouncing around among the rocks. Checking the point often and keeping a file handy would be a plus.

Using a nymph hook for a dry fly is opening a whole new can of worms. Shank length versus hook weight comparisons can be a real eye opener. A friend of mine has created a chart with most of the hatches found in PA. He measured a sampling of each species of bug from various waters and included that info on the chart. He uses long shank nymph hooks (2X, 3X, 4X long, etc) to tie some styles of dry flies. He ties Catskill flies on standard dry fly hooks, and "full body styles" (ie. parachutes and comparaduns) on the longer shank hooks. His hook choice depends on the actual length of the insect's body and the actual length of the hook shank. Fo example, he ties a Catskill style sulphur (E. Rotunda) on a size 14 dry fly hook, and a full body style dry on a size 16 2XL hook.

As an interesting comparison, what do you think would weigh more - a size 12 TMC 100 dry fly hook, or a size 16 TMC 5263 streamer hook? The shank length is about the same, and the extra weight of the streamer hook is offset by the smaller hook gap (less material needed).

Just some food for thought.....

Back