Grannom Caddis with eggsack

RonB

RonB

Wondering if anyone ever used a little yellow plastic bead for an eggsack on a Grannom Caddis. I tied some up tonight and waiting to try them out.

I have not, but as long as it doesn't sink the fly it should be fine. Are grannom diving depositors? Might even be better then if it sinks :) Dubbing is easy and can get you a more realistic effect in my opinion, but let us know what the fish think of them.
Mike.

In my experience egg sacks are more light green in color than yellow and I use dubbed green sacks all the time during grannoms. I had a central PA guide give me a bunch of peacock and partridge flies that he told me to use during the egg flights and he too used light green dubbing.

I use a tuft of chartreuse ultra chenille or vernille. Does it make a difference to the fish? I am still unsure.

I just use a little ball of green dubbing, Mike in relatively shallow water they deposit their eggs on top but in deeper water they dive, swim, or crawl to the bottom. ( a foot or more I imagine) I think foxgap has it right, light green sac.

Well I will see how the yellow ones work. I have some green also, so maybe I will try them as well.

Oh geesh, I didn't even notice the color point. I was stuck on plastic. Yep, green would probably be better. Thanks for the diving explanation Jack. They are fascinating little critters.
Mike.

Here is pictures of each. I ended up tying both to see how they work

Attachments

• grannom green.JPG
    grannom green.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 6
  • grannom yellow.JPG
    grannom yellow.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 7
I would imagine the yellow would function as a hot spot, perhaps the green does as well. But for Grannoms the eggs are green. I know there's a bug that has a yellow egg sack just cant think of it right now. Ties look good.

Yes, I know there is one that is yellow also. I thought it was the Grannom but now I am not either

looks good....One thing, I would trim that hackle so its sits flush, especially an egg layer

I do that if I need to when I fish them.....Thought maybe with the bead would help them float better

hendrickson spinners have yellow egg sacs

Aha, there you go. Was going to look into that color but it has been presented, thanks. Back when I lived in Delaware I had more time for reading than fishing and was much sharper on my entomology. Now that I'm 10-15 min from Spring Creek, well you know...

Here's a pic of a mass of grannom eggs on my wading boots.

Attachments

• 993166BAA85741FDBED9AE0EF6086E43.jpg
    993166BAA85741FDBED9AE0EF6086E43.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 4
the ones on the neshannock were more of a light green like your green bead but im pretty sure they fly around with the egg sack until evening when they dive to deposit

I don't see the benefit of a plastic bead for this or any fly. I use alternate materials all the time but they usually have some advantage over other more traditional materials. It's easy enough to dub an egg sac before the rest of the body, probably easier than securing a bead and you're not locked in to one size.

Just like to experiment.. Always like to try new things that may not have been tried before.

Use dubbing. Just a couple of wraps chartreuse not yellow. I use the henryville special pattern with peacock herl for the body. A bead will make the fly sink, it should float on the surface.

flipnfly wrote:
the ones on the neshannock were more of a light green like your green bead but im pretty sure they fly around with the egg sack until evening when they dive to deposit

grannoms actually start depositing their eggs as early as 11am, at least from my past experience.

Back