Fly tying seminar

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Well I figured I'd start this thread now, because I have a little bit of time to prepare. Wanted some advice from you guys.

Every year my church (around 1800 people come every weekend) hosts a wild game dinner in March. This year I suggested having some break away sessions after the dinner for specific hobbies... muzzleloader, turkey calling, archery, fly tying, etc. I told them I'd do a tying seminar if all goes through to do the breakaways.

Here's my ideas so far. First I was going to tie a small handfull of flies and give them away as a door prize to someone who comes to watch. I was going to get a webcam and livestream a closeup of my vise to a projector so everyone can see and it won't get me crouded. I was thinking of doing a hatch progression as the presentation. So talk about the life cycle of a bugs and why it's so important to fly fisherman. Tie an egg pattern, nymph, emerger, dry and spent wing spinner. I figure that will take me a good hour or so to go through. These are just basic ideas as of right now, but just want to know what you guys think. Any ideas to expound upon, or to get into more detail when the time comes to really prepare for this.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Incredible idea and you have done a great job of thinking it through. I would love to see it but am all the way across the state. My only suggestion is please put it on youtube afterwards for us to enjoy!

Sounds like a cool idea, another idea would be to look at different types of fish food and hwo they can be replicated with various flies ie:

Streamer - baitfish
Dry Fly - aquatic insect
Hopper/Ant - terrestrial
Egg - roe

Sounds like a great idea to me Ry! Caddis would be the perfect insect of choice since it's an abundant source of food on most trout streams, or possibly a Baetis/BWO.

I agree with Crotalus, before going into the specific insect life cycle, introduce some patterns that serve as immitations for other sources of food. Show examples of these and also explain the differences between patterns of the pupa/nymph variety all the way to the dun or spent stages.

Super idea, I like it. By the way, is this open to anyone or only members of your church?

I would think it would take more than an hour, especially if you talk about life cycles in between tying and not during.
Also, expect a ton of questions to hold you up.
Sounds like it would be a blast!

This is completely open to the public. Last year we had probably over 200 people attend. We have a gentleman who is a VP of the Bass federation attend our church and he spoke last year. He used to be special ops, and runs tournaments down south all summer long., so he has some great stories. Also had a guy who makes his own turkey calls give a demo. You can't forget the food either! I'll put a post on here when I get a definite date from the church and any details. It's usually one of the first Friday's of March.

Back