First Adams

M

mario66pens

I have been tying for about 5 years or so now, but have never tied an adams…I just never wanted to mess it up.

Heres my first attempt.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_1139_zpsbb1e106c.png

IMG_1128_zps28fb3c2e.jpg

IMG_1130_zps68cdddc7.png

I'd fish it.

Maybe it's the picture, but did you use grizzly as well as the brown hackle?

overall its OK but you might want to use hen hackle tips for the wings and a brown and grizzly mix for the tail and front hackles

Mario, I agree with using hen hackle for the wings. For me the proportions are really pretty good. I would dub the body tighter on the thread. Not so buggy. And maybe add one more turn of body to make it a hair longer. A adams is not the easiest fly to tie. So that being said for your first one it's pretty damn good. I'm sure it will catch a fish.

Nice job,

GenCon

Thanks guys.

The tail and the hackle are grizzly brown mix, the white background was the only way I could get the fly in focus.

I was stuck on the wings, all of my grizzly hen was too wide and would have made for a fan wing. I ended up using a old (1970s) grizzly saddle for the wings, Ill have to invest in another hen neck.

Gencon,
I can see what you say about the body. I will do on making the muskrat a bit finer the next go-around.

I will post a second attempt later.

Brian that's a great first adams ( it will take fish) nothing really to add that hasn't been said except when you get some grizzly hen try here: Just tell him what you're using it for and he'll hook you up.

http://www.collinshacklefarm.com/

I was expecting something much worse when I saw the thread title. Your fly is actually very acceptable for a first attempt.

I would recommend using less/finer dubbing on the body. If you are having trouble getting your dubbing nice and tight on the thread, try waxing the thread a bit before applying the dubbing.

Proportions are good. The hen hackle tips will look better than the rooster tips though.

I'd give it a solid B+ for a first attempt at a traditional dry fly.

Kev

Back