Fender Deer Hair Emerger

SBecker

SBecker

I saw this pattern and found it to be really interesting. I have never seen a wing made that way, and will be giving it a try. Figured I would share. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.rodtrip.com/world_flies/fender-deer-hair-emerger/

Alright, that's pretty cool. Doesn't look like adjusting the deer hair length to the size of the fly would be too difficult. I like it, it's a good idea for an alternate way of doing a shute. Thanks for sharing Shane.

Yea no problem. I am amazed at the things that people come up with. Now I just need to get some CCG or other type of glue.

Yea, I don't have a drop of it either.

I would call it the phyllis diller, do you really need to buy more stuff?

Thansk for posting that Becker, I think I saw Gary Borger tie something like this with a dubbing loop. It looks nice, but I have to wonder what it would look like from the fish point of view.

I guess we won't know untill one of us tries it out.

I bet Loon UV Wader repair would work too!

gentleshepherd wrote:
I bet Loon UV Wader repair would work too!

Yep, its the same thing as Loon's UV Fly Tying stuff, just different amounts. I use the loon.

blueheron wrote:
I would call it the phyllis diller, do you really need to buy more stuff?
Yes, now that is the question of the day isn't it? Do we need to really? I'd say no, we all have what it takes to catch trout the rest of our lives. I know I do,I have a friend he's been fly fishing & tying way longer than I have, way longer. He can carry his tying stuff in a single box, has about nine flies he ties and fishes all year round, and he's one of the most consistent anglers I know. I can't do that I think it's great that he and others can but I can't, and I admit that freely. Until I stop seeing flies that I have to tie because they just look so cool I probably will never stop buying more stuff. I must feed the need ya know. All I know is one my children better be into fly fishing and tying because when I go, I'm gonna end up with a boat load of stuff before it's all said and done. Besides hunting it's really the only avenue my money goes. So, in the end we don't need to buy more stuff, I just have to. :-D

Just tied a few of these with UV LOON. I'm eager to give them a try!!!

You could also use zap-a- gap or duco cement for glueing the center of the "hackle"
Interesting fly for sure.

Nice fly Becker. Thanks for sharing. I'd like to see how it holds up in youghmonsters water test.

Nice pattern Becker, and no I don't need a new pattern. But it sure looks fun to tie. I like to tie and try different patterns, technics.

Gencon

thnx Becker, Now i guess ill sell off most of my Hoffman/Whiting/Metz/Keough/Chanticleer/Collins/Spencer necks and saddles. This makes using them almost obsolete.

I am curious about the UV Glues. I have used the Loon products a time or two. Not sure if Bug Bond, or Clear Cure is the best for flytying. I imagine that the thin stuff will work better for coating quills and biots.

The one downside of this pattern that I see is that there is no post to keep an eye on. However, my plan is to paint the glue dot with a Loon colored head cement, so you can see it better on the water. I don't know if it will work, but it is worth a shot.

In my research last night, it seems that the best product out is the CCG. I picked up a syringe of thin and tack free thick to try out.

I'd like to hear how you make out with that CCG.

I use the thin CCG on a juju midge that I tie. It sets nicely and holds up well. I wish I could give you a comparison to Loon or other products, but I have only used the CCG. I would recommend it.

I saw that post and tied a few last week using biot and quill bodies ( go figuer) :). I will say i think a dubbed or pheasant body would be ideal. Also it was super easy. No trial needed with this one, just push and glue.

I never used CCG or any of the others. I'm curious how much weight would this add to the fly?
Mike.

Back