Favorite Spent Caddis Pattern

SBecker

SBecker

So, I ran into a situation the other day where I had about 6 fish in the 18-24inch range rising in front of me for about 4 hours straight. Their backs would make wakes in the water such they were so near the surface. I tried almost every fly in my box that I could think they would be feeding on. After an hour of frustration, I sat and stared at the water. The only insect floating down was a spent apple caddis.

This made sense to me such their rise forms mimicked them feeding on spinners or midges. I of course never ever have tied a spent caddis. I never ran into a situation where I needed them. I did have a pretty large parachute style egg laying grannom that had the chartreuse egg sack and sat flat on the water. I had two missed takes, but realized I needed a spent caddis in my box.

This morning I woke up and searched the web for patterns. I came up with Hans Weilenmann's pattern which is A.K. Bests pattern but the hackle is trimmed flush. I then added a white tip of cdc feather to help float and see.

What patterns do you guys like using?

Hook- size 18 Dai-Riki #730 2xl
Body- Trout Hunter Rene' Harrop Caddis Green
Wing- Beige and cream tipped hen, 2 tips of white cdc, cree collar trimmed flush
Thread- UNI 8/0 olive

Attachments

• Side spent.jpg
    Side spent.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 34
  • bottom spent.jpg
    bottom spent.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 16
  • top spent.jpg
    top spent.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 17
That pattern would have killed them. Very nice.

Edit: I had the same issue. The caddis i saw were olive in about a size 16. Spent caddis were on the water but I just pounded them with an elk hair over and over and over. Walk away, drink a beer and smoke a cig, come back and in the first few casts they would take it. Fish that are picky and might sense your standing there need a break from you, when they feel comfortable again is when you can really get them.

On a side note, in a pinch you could always trim the hackle down off and elk hair, maul the wings and make them lay flat and too the side. It would be the same thing.

I of course never ever have tied a spent caddis. I never ran into a situation where I needed them.

Then you don't fish caddis hatches too often.

What patterns do you guys like using?
Although not an Apple Caddis, this style:
IMGP0025_zps04448023.jpg

has served me well from Maine to Montana.

I always carry a pair of old tying scissors on a zinger to modify a full dressed fly and a small seine net to really try to see what they're taking, it's usually not what you think it is. Plus the fishing gods decided you needed to be taken down a notch or two.

Haha, you are correct about those couple fish taking me down a few notches. However, that day was pretty productive with oinkers. It brought me right back up. Law of averages?

x caddis works for me :

xcaddis.jpg

they ride low, i just dress the wing.

if they land on their side, all the better.

I'm with GC this one's a good choice.
deltacaddis_zps2de95f80.jpg

Agree LV, I really like GC's pattern. Gonna tie a few up.

For the Lehigh and Poconos I use a Henryville fished in the film to imitate a cripple or on top for an egg layer. One fly

You know I hate to sound like some old bastard, but sometimes a soft hackle fished in the film will do the trick.

Tried the soft hackle in the film Dave. They were not having it! Lol

OK fair enough, but I did say "sometimes"!

Presentation takes a back seat to pattern?

JackM wrote:
Presentation takes a back seat to pattern?

Jack, I think it really depends on how you define "presentation". Is it the drift, or the angle you are fishing from, or the tippet?
Or is it more than that.
I think presentation and pattern go hand in hand.

In attempting to fool a selectively feeding, large (assume old and experienced) trout, the odds are in your favor if you not only use the best presentation, but also select a fly that imitates the size, proportion, stage, position (on, in or below the surface) and silhouette of the natural. These factors are also (in my opinion) an important part of the "presentation".
Some will say that all you need is an Adams in the right size.
I wouldn't say that.
Would you?
Thoughts?

spent caddis with the egg sack 4" behind it..

I think it depends and yes, doing both right should increase your chances. That said, how do you diagnose the "problem" if you don't know whether your pattern is correct or your presentation, or neither?

Years of practice. There is no substitute for happening upon a situation that at first stumps you and working through the variables until the stupidest or most impatient fish of the bunch takes your offering. Having the right bug but not getting the same movement as the natural is a sure way for a fish to get under your skin with refusals. You gotta put your time in, no way around it.

blueheron wrote:
Years of practice. There is no substitute for happening upon a situation that at first stumps you and working through the variables until...

Absolutely.
Observation is the key. Recognizing what is on or in the water is the first step. There may be more than one choice.
Then try to figure out how the fish is rising. Where in the column? What does the rise look like?
Finally, try to work through the variables until you figure it out or you move on to other fish.

Shane noticed that there were spent Apples on the water.

Eventually he figured that the fish was taking the spent caddis with a gentle sip, not moving far and not chasing. A logical choice.

But, he wasn't prepared with an accurate enough pattern or his wet fly presentation sucked so bad that the fish didn't take.

JackM wrote:
... how do you diagnose the "problem" if you don't know whether your pattern is correct or your presentation, or neither?

Trial and error.

touche' pussycat

Gutcutter wrote:

But, he wasn't prepared with an accurate enough pattern or his wet fly presentation sucked so bad that the fish didn't take.

Yes and very good possibility! Lol

Ahh... the puzzle of fish and flies. Such a wonderful game is it not? Everyone presents a good case on this scenario, one that has the possibility of so many different solutions. Can you have every fly or do you need to have every one on you at all times? When you know with enough time where you plan to fish to either tie or buy the proper flies you can, maybe. A little homework on what could be "on" when & where you're going to be on the water helps, but again can you have them all when you need them all? It's true the best thing you can do in times like these is stop have a seat and just observe. One should try to never stop thinking, processing what is going on around you. Time on the water and experience is truly the best teacher, but when this is limited some study at home about different insects how they hatch and how the trout react to them can be an important supplement to making what limited time you may have on the water that much more successful.This is a good thread, with good ideas being bounced around.

Back