Eagle Claw Hooks

B

boj

Found some boxes of Eagle Claw hooks that I forgot I had in sizes 6, 8, and 10 with straight eyes.

Can these be used for fly tying?

Charlie

I've been known to buy EC baitholders and bend 'em straight when I just want something cheap.

The shanks always strike me as super short. But, they work.

Boj,
Sure.
Eagle Claw bait hooks are often not very sharp and may require a few strokes on a hook sharpener. Their barbs are often large too so, if you're a barbless guy, make sure you crush 'em down good.

Those would be ideal for steelhead or salmon fishing.

EC 1197 in gold, nickel or bronze are great for steel, shad, salmon

Just a quick observation on Eagle Claw dry fly hooks (L059) available via retail from Cabela's, BPS, etc...

The price is very good ($8.00 to 10.00/100) but do not buy these sight unseen anticipating they will be the same as your Mustads, Tiemco's, etc. The things are at least 1XL in the shank and perhaps as much as 1.5XL. I bought 100 #12's from Cabelas and only use them where I would normally use a #10, like for large deerhair ants or beetles, etc. I'm sure they have other applications where they would work just fine. They might for example, make a good Stimulator hook. The point is that they are way long in the shank for the stated size compared to virtually all other hooks.

Appreciate all the replies. Thanks.

Boj

Back