dubbing

KeithS

KeithS

Which dubbing packs should I be looking for to tie the most common flies we discuss?
I'm thinking of getting the multi-color packs in the containers and
I know that the nymphs would be better with a different dubbing than dries. Or, am I over thinking this ?

I like the Wapsi assortments. I got some of them at Bass Pro and some others at Flyfishermans Paradise in State College. Fly Rite also has some good assortments.

Rabbit

Here is a good assortment.

you're overthinking it.

Keith - My suggestion is to stick with individual packs of dubbing.

The assortments have some colors you may never use. I've got dozens of them, but made most up myself. You can buy the boxes pre-drilled, or just buy cheap Plano boxes at Wally World, or a craft store, and drill them yourself.

It is more convenient to access dubbing with those boxes - the ziplock bags take a beating over time...

Some of my friends use those clear round containers that screw together to make long "tubes". I like the convenience of labeling the boxes with the type of dubbing, and the color of each compartment on the bottom of the box.

Another cool trick is to use a photo album with sleeved inserts. I bought a Fly-Rite dubbing portfolio that uses this system, and it works well. You can add additional pages too.

Lots of options on dubbing storage...

I think Heritage -Angler nailed it.

GenCon

Ed,
I actually have 2 of the stackable round containers now. Just never sure , since I see all the other types of dubbing, i.e. super-fine, etc.
Thanks to all.
Happy New year.

I am addicted to dubbing....there I took my first step into recovery.

Walmart Plano plastic boxes for dirt cheap....punch a hole. Stuff with contents of individual dubbing. Save $10....buy beer with the $10.

SBecker wrote:

Great. Eleven more steps and we'll move on to your feather addiction.

Just buy single packets, it's much better value in terms of quantity per color. And don't worry about buying fancy photo holders or bags etc. Snip the corner off the little packet it comes in, it's a ready made dispenser.

Volksnurse wrote:
SBecker wrote:

Great. Eleven more steps and we'll move on to your feather addiction.

Wires and threads are next.

eunanhendron wrote:
Just buy single packets, it's much better value in terms of quantity per color. And don't worry about buying fancy photo holders or bags etc. Snip the corner off the little packet it comes in, it's a ready made dispenser.
That is pretty much what I do. A packet of dubbing lasts a very very long time. I found the little plastic zip bags at a craft store that I use for my own blends. They store nicely as is. Now I just need a storage solution for my collection of pelts.

I definitely like the individual packs as well. My dubbing addiction is way past any kind of intervention, and I don't have a problem with that. :-D

+1 on the hares ear, in their assortment there's enough for many years of tying. I still have most ofthe original spools I bought 25 years ago.
As for the boxes, they are sold separately.

For drys- I always look for the finest fur I can get. Mad river beaver dubbing is pretty good stuff IMO. Most common colors I use are pale yellow for sulpher, tan for caddis, olive for BWO's, gray for iso's and caddis, and rusty brown for spinners.

As for storage, I just keep them in the little zip lock pouches that they come in

Back