Dropper Loops

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

I'm fairly new to tying, and I wanted to ask if any of you guys ever tie in mono dropper loops in your attractor dries. I have purchased some stimulators that have them tied in. If you do, how do you tie them in so they don't slip? I'm guessing you tie it in, then double back over itself and wrap again, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the feedback as always.

Steve

I have tied a few by doubling over, but still don't fish them. I do not trust them to hold. I do not trust thread and head cement to hold a fish.

Google Charlie Meck ,some of his videos show him tying loop on his Patriot

Jay, when you double over, put a crimp or two in the loop and put down a thread base. With a base of thread, smashed mono, glue, and more thread, no way that loop's coming out.

I tie trailer hooks on some of my streamers with this method using 8/0 uni and never had a problem

Bam,

I never tried crimping it. Good call. I'll give it another shot. Still not sure if I'll be able to convince myself to fish it anywhere there's fish over 15 inches, but I'll definitely try to.

and I only fish em when I'm expecting fish over 15 inches:)

You can tie them in as described... they will hold. I do this on alot of steelhead streamers! You're in Bel Air? Me too!

Thinking about it again. If anyone's still worried about slippage, maybe use a lighter to burn the ends of the mono before tying in...

kevlar thread and super glue , pull a mack truck ....

Thanks folks the thread and crimping are good ideas , so is burning the end , i'm thinking in terms of stinger hooks. Just a little sumpin here , the doubling over , does it add unreasonable bulk? THANKS.

Bulk? Yes it will add some bulk, but then you should condider what type of fly you are putting the dropper on. I put them mainly on streamer varieties, but I suppose the method could be adapted to other styles w/ some modification. For example, I am thinking of tying droppers w/ 4x flouro and smaller trout hooks onto the butts of some wooly buggers to help prevent short striking smaller trout. So, basically the same premise w/ much lighter weight. I guess it should also be determined if a double hook set-up would be legal in a FFO setting?

I guess it should also be determined if a double hook set-up would be legal in a FFO setting?

Duh!! Of course in most cases the point of the first hook would be removed, so this won't be a problem! :oops:

Back