Dragonfly nymph

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

dragonflynymph.jpg

The recipe is given as it was in Dave Whitlock's 1982 Guide to aquatic trout foods ( Dave gave two different patterns for this, a crawler and a swimmer, I've presented the swimmer)
Hook: 3xl shank, heavy wire,turned-up eye
Tying thread: Herb Howard flymaster or waxed monocord to match body color
Cement: five min. epoxyand pliobond for underbody
Body shape, foundation,and weight: section of lead wire equal in dia. to hook wire. This is looped to sides of hook shank,thread wrapped,& epoxied to form wide body foundation
thorax: dubbing blend of coarse synthetics and natural muskrat or rabbit fur, blend colors to simulate those contained overall in naturals body color pattern. I often mix olive,brown,grey,and black to create a basic,natural color most common on lake and sluggish stream bottoms
Rib: dark brass or dark varnished, copper wire
Top of abdomen,thorax,wingcase,and head: Swiss straw with naturals base color & marked with a waterproof felt tipped pen
Legs: Various cock or hen pheasent back feathers, dyed if necessary, to match nymph's color cast
Eyes: large pair of melted nylon monofilament beads or pair of decorative plastic beads
Head: Dubbing and swiss straw

nice

I like it. the swiss straw works perfect for dragonfly nymphs.

Thanks guys.

Won't lie its not often I care for other people's patterns but that one I'm liking to a good extent! I might like to tie up one in a slightly darker olive though.

Back