Deer Hair Emergers and Comparaduns

3wt7X

3wt7X

I've been tying a lot this year, and I just started working on some Grey Fox and Hendrickson emergers and comparaduns using deer hair. I've had great luck on "shop bought" deerhair patterns on Penns and the Delaware in the past. Here are a few that I've done so far, and I need some feedback to make them better. The emerger pattern is a Grey Fox tied with a size 14 hook with Light Hendrickson dry fly dubbing. The comparadun is meant to be a male hendrickson, tied with goose biot body and brown dry fly dubbing thorax. Any critiques are appreciated.

Attachments

• EM1.jpg
    EM1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 8
I think they look pretty good. I don't use the same material for the tails in emergers as conventional dries. The emerger tail material looks like antron or something similar. Most of those materials sink which is fine for the emerger.
I prefer microfibbets or something similar for the comparaduns.

They look good... I personally like the wing to be a little shorter. Also, try a wrapped turkey biot for the abdomen. I also use a combo of wood duck and Antron for the shuck.

T

Agree that wings could be a bit shorter. I tie my Grey Fox with a pale yellow body and Light Hendrickson with bit of pinkish rose added to the body. Also find that a couple wraps of red thread on the head of the Hendrickson can be killer.

Might just go a little sparser on the shuck material but other than that they look good. I haven't done much with deer hair patterns on Penns. I usually go to a similar pattern but with cdc wing.

I am new hear but it is time for me to chime in. I agree with all the above. I prefer my wings to be a bit shorter. Also on the trailing shuck I like it to be very sparse. I use crinkeled zelon. Whe tyed sparse it has a nice translucency to it. The trailing shuck is supposed to represent the nymphal shuck spliting away from the body. IMHO. But I am sure they will catch fish.

gencon

Thank you for the feedback...I've been shortening up the wings a bit, and doing some of the comparaduns with microfibets rather than the shuck. I also have been doing some with CDC feathers. I will post more pictures shortly.

+1 on cdc emergers. Tie them up, you'll be glad you did.

Considering what I observe on the real critters when they're emerging from the nymphal shuck, I don't believe you went overly heavy on the shuck material. More important is to do your best to see that the shuck material doesn't splay.

Comparaduns with a trailing shuck are Sparkle Duns. If you've used a biot for the body you have a Biot Body Sparkle Dun.

I agree that some of the emerger wings are long.

Dave R.

Anyone have a picture of a actual nymph with a trailing shuck? are they the length of the body? I bought a march brown emerger from the feathered hook and it has some kind of hair for shuck and it's long. They are pretty good with their patterns.

Also take a brown permanent marker and mark the body just a lil bit by the shuck brown. say like an 1/8th inch. Killer for me on the Delaware last year

Back