Charlie Craven's "Gonga" Streamer

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I was watching this great video series I found on youtube that shows famous tiers tying their favorite/signature fly. One of them featured Charlie Craven tying the "Double Gonga," which is an articulated version of his gonga streamer. He described it as a dressed up wooly bugger. It has a marabou tail and palmered hackle, but has made a few changes. He uses schlappen instead of saddle hackle for a fuller fly, painted dumbell eyes rather than just a bead or lead wraps, includes some of the fluff from the schlappen as a collar, ice dub for the body, rubber legs, and added a wing and head made from "polar fiber."

I decided to mimic it, but dumbed it down a little - unpainted lead eyes, plain old saddle hackle, chinelle body, and craft fur instead of polar fiber (whatever that is). I think mine turned out OK. I like the bulk of the head on these - it's very reminiscent of the deer hair head on a sculpin pattern.

I also tied in the eyes so that the hook would ride point up. I read an article that Charlie wrote about the Gonga streamer where he says he prefers to tie them in so the point rides down because he feels that a large hook going into the roof of a trout's mouth causes more damage than if it is point down. I had never heard that before but I guess it sounds plausible - maybe the next ones I tie I'll make it ride hook point down instead.

20140427_074207.jpg

20140427_074153.jpg

Jeremy,

That's a good looking pattern. I have been tying almost all my buggers with the painted lead eyes riding hook point up for the past few years. I like them in black (red eyes), white (white eyes) and olive (red eyes). I also really like using the Schlappen instead of saddle because of the webby nature. One other thing I like to do is replace the traditional marabou tail with a rabbit strip tail. The painted lead eyes will eventually turn into regular lead eyes through wear from bouncing off of rocks. The hook will stay sharper for a longer time riding hook point up. I never saw hooking them in the roof of the mouth being a real problem. These flies really work well for trout and smallies.

Nice looking ties there Jeremy. Have to give them a try. I also like the way the head looks.

GenCon

Nice looking flies. I tied some a few years ago, but followed his recipe for using craft fur for the head.
congas.jpg

dubthethorax wrote:
Nice looking flies. I tied some a few years ago, but followed his recipe for using craft fur for the head.
congas.jpg

Nice. they do look nice all dressed up with the legs and extra marabou and such. I like that the head on yours tapers nicely into the "wing." I didn't leave the fibers on my craft fur head long enough to get that effect. Plus I trimmed the head to shape like a deer hair head.

@dc410 - iI was reading that a wooly bugger with lead eyes is called a wooly bomber. Didn't know there was a name for it until just now. So I guess you're is a rabbit strip wooly bomber.

Nice looking ties "J" gonna fish great.

Back