Can anyone help with some trico Patterns

DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Since I'm most likley going to the LL for the Jam I gusee I should tie some tricos to use ..

My two favorites:

Attachments

• trico2.jpg
    trico2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Al's trico.jpg
    Al's trico.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 6
+1 for Al's trico

Both of H.A.'s patterns are super realistic imitations that can catch the most wary trout if presented right. For me it's mind numbing drudgery to track those little bastages among the natural.

I ran into a gentleman last July that literally turned around my trico fishing on the LL. I'd be glad to show anyone at the Jam the comparadun pattern he gave me. I cleaned house the month of August last year on it blind casting to every likely place a trout could be holding and had many aggressive takes where the fish hooked themselves.

FWIW the man was from Hellertown and stated his father had a bait shop there and he tied flies for those customers interested. If anyone knows him or the shop please let him know about our Jam. He would make an awesome guest speaker!

I believe that the fellow you are talking about is George Klotz
his parents have Klotz Bait and Tackle Shop in Hellertown
I'm not sure but I think his father passed away a few years ago
He knows the LV streams front and back !!!!
Klotz's Bait & Tackle Shop

216 Hess Ave
Hellertown, PA 18055

(610) 838-7970

I tie my tricos very similar to HA's first one, size #22- which uses sparkly antron for the wings. They work

A couple years ago I hit the LL pretty hard during the Trico hatches. I tried a number of flies including the poly, antron, CD, hackle, and "punched" wings. I found that the poly and antron wing versions worked well early on in the hatch but were much less effective as the season wore on. The CDC and hackle (Al Trico) worked well through the season. Body color also seemed to be a factor with pure black working early on but trico black (black with some reddish brown) or dark rust seemed to be needed later.

My take is that the poly and antron wings are the most popular and the fish get educated on a heavily fished stream.

By punched wings I am referring to wings made with a wing cutter by punching them out of various materials. I bought about every wing material I could find including some craft store stuff. I never got the tests done on all the materials but those that were translucent with a prism like effect seemed to work well.

Any thoughts from the LL regulars?

In my experience what you mentioned seems to be about right I normally start with a 24 poly wing and end with a 26 al's trico later in the season! I fish the females much more then the males.

franklin wrote:

By punched wings I am referring to wings made with a wing cutter by punching them out of various materials. I bought about every wing material I could find including some craft store stuff. I never got the tests done on all the materials but those that were translucent with a prism like effect seemed to work well.

Any thoughts from the LL regulars?

I really got into them last year. I didn't have the wing cutter, however I started off with some salvaged cigarette pack cellophane and ended up using clear/prism colored material that craft stores sell. Comes on a big roll. This material is translucent, yet by folding it accordion style it would make nice dimples in the water. Worked like a champ but would not hold up very well.

I wish I could remember the stuff a friend gav eme, its some sort of gauzy material for something, real thin shimmery stuff. You take a few fibers of it, and you can use it like crystal flash but it looksbetter.

If you find something that does hold up let us all know. I've been using burnt wing spinners all season and doing quite well but when you have to change flies at 9:15 pm because after two fish the wings are shot its kinda a pita but those little clear wing jobs sure do work.

gfen:

Sounds like the material you refer to was Organza.

Dave R.

I think you're close, but not 100%. I have some at home. I shall look this evening.

Wait.

Its 5:01.

Some of the cellophane like wing materials I used couldn't be tied in without tearing so I bonded it with Loon's UV knot epoxy. Makes it real durable.

Franklin is correct later in the season the body color does change to a more reddish brown.

Al's Trico is easy to tie and effective everywhere I've fished it.

FWIW, I was reading Henry Ramseys new book today, particularly the section on tricos, and he states that he uses z-lon exclusively for wings. Tried all the crap we have mentioned, plus more and came back to z-lon due to the crinkled look on the water, durability, cast ability and another thing or two I don't remember.

Bill over at Anglers Pro turned me on to Flouro Fiber.
It's basically uber-thin fibers of flash that have a brushy look and feel to them.

I used it to tie tricos last weekend and I thought they looked good. They caught fish too.

I've also been experimenting with white glo bug yarn for the wings. They look cool, but I havent fished em yet.

decided to take a pic of the ones I've been making. This is the first time I've ever tried tying tricos so feedback on the proportions is appreciated. Both are size 24s, sitting on a beer bottle cap. Top one is egg yarn wing, bottom is flouro fiber. My hands are so big that I have a tough time with flies this small.

Attachments

• trikes.jpg
    trikes.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 7
Back