Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bunny Trico Spinner

From Lancaster
I stopped by one of my favorite early season trico spots today and was not surprised to see some trico spinners on the surface and many trout feeding with sipping riseforms. I couldn't resist. Put on my "go to" trico tandem which is a size 22 bunny trico spinner dropped off the bend of a #18 Griffiths Gnat. I brought six fish to hand and lost a handful of others in about an hour period. I actually caught my first trout on a trico in the same run last year on May 14! I was really not surprised to see the early trico activity. The Griffiths Gnat/Bunny Trico tandem has been a very productive set up for me over the years. All fish today were caught on the spinner on the point. I usually start the trico season using 5X tippet. When they get more picky I switch to 6X and will go to 7X if I need to but I really don't like to because of the warmer temperatures and the stress on the fish. After 7X, I switch to 2X and get out my Clousers, Buggers and Poppers and get after those smallies.

The bunny trico is a great pattern and super easy to tie. I tie them on a size 22 #2488 Tiemco (curved shank, straight eye) hook. All you need is 8/0 Black Thread, fine black dubbing and light dun snowshoe rabbit hair. I never took the time to put tails on them because they seem to work great for me without them and it saves a lot of time when tying. Give 'em a shot on your favorite trico stream this season. Good luck!

Attach file:

jpg  Bunny Trico top.jpg (20.00 KB)
6132_519ed39d7031f.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  Bunny Trico bottom.jpg (19.51 KB)
6132_519ed3afec9cb.jpg 448X305 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 22:44

Re: Bunny Trico Spinner

Nice pattern ... I have that one in my trico arsenal... I also tie one with a white or light olive abdomen and black thorax

Posted on: 2013/5/24 9:18

Re: Bunny Trico Spinner

From Ferguson Twp.
Nice tie John, thanks for the pattern and info on it.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 21:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com