Bugs for State College?

Wildfish

Wildfish

If it manages to rain before October I'll be heading to State College for the first time this month. Before I do, are there any patterns I should start tying? I've never fished out there, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Plan is the first day I'll hit the famous water (Paradise, etc). This will be late morning to sundown. Next day will be brookie water.

Thanks!

Walts Worm
Scuds
Beetles
Ants
Greenie Weenies
Small Dark nymphs

Simple is best usually. I caught a fish on every one of those flies today except the beetle cause I didnt have any

I've found that the trout don't like flies that are too flashy. Go with what Native said, but try to make them as realistic as possible. And small. 18's and 20's mostly.
I've had some luck with Pink/Red San Juan worms the last time I was there, too. 16's I think.

gochs likes the San Juans there! I can testify to that.

Small PTs, midges and caddis larvae treat me well on Spring. Also, some small BWOs and Griffiths gnats if you see surface activity

Wsender, I immediately went to the fly shop after our morning trip and picked up more. Too bad I couldn't set the hook that day. I was downright humiliated. lol
The next time I went they were still hitting them and I actually picked up a few. Kind of got my strut back a bit. lol

gochs are the one

Nice gochs!

I tied about 12 of them on hooks from size 12 to 16. My wet box looks like a disco party with San Juan worms, Green Weenies, and Glo Bugs.

The trout in my avatar was caught yesterday on a size 14 scud/caddis larvae. It was tied like a scut but had caddis larvae colors. 8)

Some trout this time of year love flashy and some hate it. Personally, I have been fishing non flashy flies with a little bit of flash (ex. orange hotspot around the neck) but the simple flies have been doing it too. Anything buggy

I wouldn't say some trout like flashy but are attracted to it. Stockies hit anything that looks interesting, but the wilds in Spring have seen practically everything. They're very selective, and anything unnatural on a "natural" looking fly will turn them off.

#16 BHPT no peacock just pheasant tail copper wire and copper bead.

I use ice dub beadhead walt's worms and FBPT nymphs with success on spring creek. I disagree that they are turned off by flash.

Perhaps that's just because I fish the fastest water I can find, but I'd say that it's not a rule to use drab flies.

I have success with both.

As a starting point in low, clear water conditions I usually try drab flies without much or any flash and/ or bright colors (usually smaller flies too). But as Jay posted, sometimes flies with a little flash or color work better. As always, let the fish tell you what they want, they really don't know or follow any rules most times.

There is an easy solution to whether or not to use a flashy fly while nymphing.

Just use a tandem setup with a flashy fly up front and a smaller natural fly behind it. The fish will be attracted to the flashy fly and most likely take the second one. At least that is the way it seems to work for me. My dropper fly is usually a size 18 or smaller.

CLSports wrote:
There is an easy solution to whether or not to use a flashy fly while nymphing.

Just use a tandem setup with a flashy fly up front and a smaller natural fly behind it. The fish will be attracted to the flashy fly and most likely take the second one. At least that is the way it seems to work for me. My dropper fly is usually a size 18 or smaller.

Thhats a killer setup. My first fly is usually a greenie weenie to get lots of attention, then either two drab flies (walts worm/PT) or a flashy fly and a drab (Frenchie/Walts worm/scud)

Produces wonderfully

How far are you tying that second fly behind the first one?

I leave about 10-14 inches between. I have caught em with only 8 inches though before. A foot between is a good rule of thumb

the caddis are hatching now on spring therefore i would not be throwing caddis larvae , i would be throwing caddis pupa ... but i am probably wrong so someone please correct me , if i were fishing it this month , i would throw a size 16 bdhd caddis pupa , trailed with a size 16 cress bug , and the fishing there was really good today too by the way

Thanks troutslammer. Glad to hear the fish were cooperating. I'm watching the weather. As soon as levels are up a little I'm packing the car. I want to hit some brookie streams if I make the trip, so I may need to wait a while.

Back