Best mistake you ever made at the vise

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

This past week I tied 2 flies that at first I was ready to take the razor to but after giving them a second decided they just may work. The first was a hopper on a streamer hook don't ask why but for some reason I thought if I packed the head tight enough I could make it float. Now looking at it I think there is enough bouyance to keep it in the middle of the water column. My second mistake was leaving almost an eighth inch space between the hackle on a parachute and the body. So I was wondering whether it was a slight personal adjustment you made to a conventional tie or just a last minute switch of material in a recipe what was the best oops you ever tied and fished. I think the hardest part will be having enough faith to actually tie either of these on the end of my line.

I have a siloette hopper made with two foam pieces glued; one on top of the hook and one on the bottom. It has rubber legs.

It is hideous, but floats all day and really works. Not bad for a 2 minute fly.

Best mistake? Most frustrating mistake is when I'm just about done and I snip and catch something else and the whole fly just unravels as I watch... It's heartbreaking! :)

Best mistake for me would be popping off the hook by pulling a bit too too hard on the thread while tying on my Thompson A clone which led to buying my NorVise. I should probably try to fish some mistakes, but I tend to be pretty stubborn about cutting off what doesn't look right.

Back