bass flies

bjshaffr

bjshaffr

With summer just around the bend what are some of your favorite large and smallmouth patterns?

Since most of my bass fishing is on creeks and rivers I mainly target smallies. For the colder months, I prefer minnow type streamers such as the Clouser Minnow; something that can be fished deep and slow. For the summer months, I prefer nymph and crayfish like flies; anything with rubber legs and marabou and also divers that can be stripped in a very rapid and erratic swimming pattern. Of course, poppers (doesn't really matter what type, I prefer foam or plastic heads) are a staple for both largemouths and smallmouths in summer.

Clouser minnows/ darters/ madtoms, wooly buggers with a little added flash, sparkle grubs, Full-motion crayfish, Clouser Crayfish, Clouser Hellgrammite, Dahlberg Divers, Clouser Floating minnows, and Clouser EZ poppers, pretty much in that order...

A pattern called Bass Candy. I can't get the link to work but it is on hatchesmagazine.com web site. Look for patterns Hellgrammite Bass Candy.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
Clouser minnows/ darters/ madtoms, wooly buggers with a little added flash, sparkle grubs, Full-motion crayfish, Clouser Crayfish, Clouser Hellgrammite, Dahlberg Divers, Clouser Floating minnows, and Clouser EZ poppers, pretty much in that order...

Great selection Sniper :-D

I've been having luck with zonkers with a gold bead head, body of olive flash chenille, and black or olive rabbit strips tied on top of the body. I use a red sharpie to color the leather underside of the rabbit strip to look like a blood trail.

I tied this fly on a size 6 3xl hook for crappie and trout but have caught good numbers of largemouth and smallmouth on the fly.

a real simple one was featured in a farely resent flytyer mag. It might be the sparkle grub like sniper said but the name is not really important.
Heres the formula

hook: standard streamer hook
dumb bell eyes or cone head
body: your color choice of estaz
tail: marbou to match the estaz with crystal flash mixed in

its a good pattern although i do prefer topwater action

Wooley Buggers , Clouser Minnows , Crayfish , My Hellgramite Pattern , and Poppers and Mice on the top.

For smallmouth bass two baitfish imitations have been effective. Leftys' Deciever and a black Zonker.

Any large fuzzy nymph drifted in the flow of current will get their attention. Hares Ear, Casual Dress, Helgramite or Birds Nest are some examples. Weighting the fly is often an advantage.

HTH, Dave

Back