Any uses for groundhog fur?

salmonoid

salmonoid

Hello all,

I happened to dispatch a groundhog which had been inhabiting my woodpile, this evening. Anyone know of a good use for groundhog fur, that would warrant me clipping this fellow and saving some of the hairs?

If so, any recommendations for preserving it for later use? The one piece of deer hair I got from a friend ended up rotting, so I think there's maybe a better chance of a processed, bought-at-a-fly-shop piece of material lasting, but perhaps there are some preservation steps I can take?

Kevin

googled it

Groundhog:
Grays and browns, barred groundhog hair is a must for fly tiers. Makes fine wings for drys, wets and streamers. Especially useful in nymphs. Also called Woodchuck or Chuck. In this category are also the Rock Chucks, Ground Chucks and Wood Chucks.

I use groundhog tail for dark mayfly tails - march browns, and green drakes.
Have also used it for wings on grannoms.
It's flexible, but very tough - almost like wire.

To perserve the tail - cut it off close to body.
Fill a small bowl or other container with salt.
Stick the cut end in - at least and inch or 2.
Let dry, preferably in a sunny location, for 1-2 weeks.

Many ground hogs that have wandered into my garden, have died of "lead poisoning", and I've kept all my fly tying friends well stocked with tails.

Save that pelt! I use it for the same things as dryflyguy. It isn't too much different than snowshoe rabbit. One of the deadliest flies I use is the "Hawger", It's just a hook, thread, and groundhog fur.

Hawger.jpg

Yes...the Sasquatch

This fly is a thing of beauty...a great streamer that pushes a lot of water in search of big browns or smallies. A really good instructional video of how to tie it can be found here:

http://flytyer.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/sasquatch-lives/

Woodchuck is very useful to the tier.

One woodchuck-based fly I wouldn't be without is the Chuck Caddis as popularized by Gary Borger long ago. The variation I like isn't shown in the link below, but it's a rust body, woodchuck wing and a grizzly collar.

Another is the Llama streamer, invented (I think) by Eric Leiser.
There is an example in the following link, but I think it's way too gussied up. I use a much sparser collar and no painted eyes.

In any event, here are some woodchuck flies:

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/woodchuck/

Those are a couple of beauty's. They possess a simple eleqance that hearkens back to antiquity; when the ancients first wrapped fur around a hook. Simply splendid.

Dryflyguy wrote:
"To perserve the tail - cut it off close to body.
Fill a small bowl or other container with salt.
Stick the cut end in - at least and inch or 2.
Let dry, preferably in a sunny location, for 1-2 weeks."

From a fur trapper's standpoint, while that may work, it's not what I would do. I can see how it works for Dryflyguy, however, since the tail could wick the salt.

No matter what the fur, make sure you eliminate/scrape off all fat and muscle. Boning the tail (oh boy, I can hear it now) isn't necessary, but helps. And if you salt the skin or rub it with Borax, it will last for many years in a bug-proof container.

Also, if you do try the salt-wicking method described be carefull about high humidity and access by flies - you'll end up with stink and rot from maggots.

If you don't know any trappers who skin and stretch and prepare pelts for tanning, there are some trapping associations around, and you might be able to find someone who also fishes who can help you out. It's not that hard to do, once you get the gist.

I don't pretend to know a lot about preserving pelts, but salting those tails whole has worked for me for years.
I've bought lots of calf tails at fly shops, and they were preserved bone-in also

Not the fur so much but a strip of the material off of the top of the back has stiff guard hairs that are real water resistant, comb the fur out of a nice pinch stack the tips even and use for the downwing in a sonefly or caddis they are real nice and user friendly

The "hogger" you got that fly from my Uncle John he used to fish the little lehigh,you're right good fly

Hi Skipper - You are correct - the Hogger was just one of the great ties by John Sniczak (sp?). I was taught that pattern by John himself. Did you ever see his fly boxes? Holy smokes! He's a Little Lehigh legend, and one of the nicest guys I ever met down there. Guys like Al Miller, Joe Koehler, Don Douple, and your Uncle John taught me a lot.

Sure hope you're holding up your end of the family tradition! ;-)

Do a search on chuck flies you'll find a lot !!

Yea still at it, Little Juniata is my home river now, I was corrected of the spelling of "hawger" which is my oversight. I get all his old caddisflies every year,they catch big Juniata browns like no other.

Skipper

I fish a Mossy Hopper. Fly Fisherman September 1995. If you donot have it I can PDF or post the recipe.

Joe E

Here is a woodchuck stonefly.

http://www.fishingwithflies.com/WoodchuckStoneflies.html

See how cooperative mother nature is. She provides us with a steady supply of natural fly tying materials. I normally tossed the groundhogs I killed eating out of my garden into my back field for the buzzards and fox to eat. I will have to remember to grab some fur this year as I clean out this years batch of hogs.

I've never done it but there are folks here in Pa. that eat groundhogs also......a friend from Reading his grandad used to roast them in a roaster and at the end he would crack a dozen eggs over it and then dig in.....looked like a big greasy squirrell.........heh

Back