Another Question

K

Kill3ducks1deer

Sorry, about all the questions I have really gotten into fly fishing over the last year and really would like to get decent at tying.

My question is, what type of hackle do you use for wooly bugger on a size 6 or 8 hook? I have strung hackle and well it doesn't quite get the job done. It isn't long enough and some of it is pretty crappy. So is there a certain type you use, or am I just doing it wrong?

I use saddle feathers.

strung hackle, saddle feathers or whiting bugger hackle

Kill3ducks1deer wrote:
My question is, what type of hackle do you use for wooly bugger on a size 6 or 8 hook? I have strung hackle and well it doesn't quite get the job done. It isn't long enough and some of it is pretty crappy. So is there a certain type you use, or am I just doing it wrong?

Ducks,
As others have pointed out, longer saddle hackles will work better. The hackle feathers you get in the strung packs are often fairly short. For a WB that has a shank about 1.5" long, however, you shouldn't need a very long hackle feather. How closely together are you winding the hackle? You might make your winds a bit further apart and this will allow you to use a shorter hackle.

However, generally speaking, for typical sized WBs you will probably get the best results with a saddle hackle that is at least 4" long (not including the fluff at the base of the feather).

The thing that scares me is seeing the potential to spend more $ on tying than I have on equipment. Unless I load my Xmas list....

(I delight in telling my spouse that the most expensive rod I own is the one she gave me for Christmas! )

djs12354 wrote:
The thing that scares me is seeing the potential to spend more $ on tying than I have on equipment. Unless I load my Xmas list....

(I delight in telling my spouse that the most expensive rod I own is the one she gave me for Christmas! )

The most expensive rod I own was also a Christmas present from the wife.

As far as $ spent on tying materials I think the start up costs can be high, especially if you are buying quality dry fly necks. Unless you are tying hundreds of flies though, at some point your costs should drop back down because certain materials aren't that expensive to begin with or the quantity of materials you get with a purchase last a really long time. For instance, I bought a pack of peacock herl for a few bucks several years ago that I haven't come close to using up yet.

My most frequent expense is probably for hooks in about three different sizes. After that, maybe chenille or marabou quills. Of course I always end up buying one or two things I really didn't need.

I use the big feathers ofrom the necks that I tie dry flies with.

If you have any dry fly necks, the feathers at the back that are large work well for this, otgerwise look at bugger packs. I tie mine in at the rear of the hook using the tip of the feather. stroke all fibers down toward the base of the feather but not the tip, tie in and wrap foward. This is how Al and Gretchen beaty tie their buggers.

Evan

Thanks guys.

I went out and bough longer string saddle hackle, it looks they will be better than the ones I have now, I will give them a try tonight and hope for the best.

Whiting Bugger packs. I've never used anything else, but then again, I've only been flying for a year and a half. It works great for me.

Except for the spade hackle , i use the larger feathers from my dry fly necks. Also hen necks are inexpensive and come in many colors.

Back