(Building a) Fly Tying Bench

gaeronf

gaeronf

I was talking to my parents about fly tying and stuff and they ended up letting me design and build my own fly tying bench. Right now, I only have a couple pieces of info/ideas. At maximum it can be 5 1/2' long. Other than that there aren't many rules. It can be as high as the ceiling, but I just think I'll add some cabinets and stuff above. Here's the thing, I want to hear from you guys about your desks. How deep? Why? Positives? Negatives? Also, any creative ideas to incorporate? I already have an idea for a dubbing cabinet, pegboard with the little hangers, and hang the bagged dubbing by type. That's pretty much my only idea. So, any help would be fantastic!

i would also be intrested to see what other people have to see, as i am looking to make one. Do you no were you can purchase those peg boards gaeronf?

Try finding an old sewing machine and converting it to fit your needs they are really compact but open to a nice workable size. Use your imagination to add pull up peg boards and either open or closed shelving on the sides. I'm in the process of reworking one myself. Mine even came with a chair which has a lift up seat.

Just make sure you can move it in a decade when you move out.

i went to the second hand store and bought a desk that had one drawer in the middle and two deeper ones on the side. I paid 25.00 for it and I thought I would make it a little larger so I got a piece of plywood and screwed it to the top larger than the desk. I built some edges around the plywood with 2x4s and put a top on that then drilled holes in it for my tools and feathers etc. I believe I have some pics on here but if not I will try to post a few. I always have trouble downsizing them to fit this site. I then put all my other stuff on pegboards behind my chair and on some shelves I built. I wish I could make the top even larger but then I wouldnt be able to get around it to get to my rod building table. Its like a closet or a garage if you build a one car you need two and if you build a two car you eventually wish you would have built a three car etc.

Go to an antiques shore and buy a old roll top desk and refinish it.

I bought a cheap computer desk and spent the extra money on plastic containers to hold materials.

I made my table 26" deep because I can reach to the wall without bending foreward. I read somewhere that a height of 28-30" was a good working height, mine is 30". Getting a chair that adjusts up and down is great, if you can. An almond color for the top is a good color reduces eye strain and you can see well with that type of background. Mine is an 1 1/2" thick with a ledger board screwed to the wall and 2x's cut on a angle to hold it up that way there's no legs in the way ( clears up room underneath) If you can turn the corner with it a little you can cut a triangle piece for the inside corner of it. I found that to be handy. Then you can place things to both sides of you for easy reach.(without feeling like it's in the way) This type of set up is light, breaks down easily, and is no problem to move.Hope you find something here you can use.

Troutm, peg boards can be found at craft or sewing stores. Sewing store is the better bet though.

ok cool, is there a thread with fly tying vest or do we need to make one?

lv2nymph wrote:
I made my table 26" deep because I can reach to the wall without bending foreward. I read somewhere that a height of 28-30" was a good working height, mine is 30".

Perfect. Standard cabinet depth is 24". Standard table height is 30". I can't think of a reason to substantially deviate.

+ 1 on the used roll top desk idea. I bought mine off of craigslist on the cheap and it made a fantastic flytying table with drawers and storage compartments.

Before I built the one I have now I had a small roll top desk, I drilled out the bottom and installed casters so I could easily move it around the room. That really worked out well for me, just an idea for those that have or are thinking about one.

An old "secretary" desk. Depending on the model, plenty of strorage, can be quickly closd up and lockable.

i have had one kind or another of the cheap fake wood desks from walmartstapleskindaplaces since i've been in middle school. they are cheap enough to replace instead of move, yet durable enough for near decades of service. this example was bought new when we moved in here 12-15 years ago.

Attachments

• deskB.jpg
    deskB.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 9
Where's the desk?!!!!!

It's not built yet! Still drawing plans!

I too am beginning to plan a tying desk for the basement. My folding table just isn't cutting the mustard. I am liking the roll top desk idea.

But specifically what I wanted to share was a good idea I saw to route a hole in the top surface directly above a drawer and use that drawer for trash. This way you can just wipe all the trash into the hole and keep a nice clean working surface.

I'vegot an antique secretary and a drafting table that I use.

Someone just gave me a used entery level vise and am putting together a tying area as well. Here are my thoughts:

1 - I like the idea of roll top desks, since you can close it and keep dust out.

2 - A roll top is too big for my area, so the next best thing is to acquire bread boxes, with roll top covers. My thought is I can slide material, or flies in process, in there so they stay dust free. I have several already being used fo various purposes - none for bread.

3 - I like the one post about 28" or 26" deep. The worst thing one can do for their back is stretch, while in a seated position. Best case, you simply wear yourself out quicker at each session. Worst case, you actually pull something.

4 - I would prefer a higher table, with a pedestal chair and foot rest. I have one...ok, two in my hobby area downstairs, but this will be ustairs, and on carpet, so desk height is probably where I'll end up.

5 - Hit the thrift stores. I found an old projector table there that will serve nicely as a craft or perhaps fly tying table. It has 3 outlets for AC, a small built-in light, and best of all for my purpose, I can fold it up and stick it behind a sofa in the room. Pedestal chairs, bread boxes, rolltop desks, these stores have them all. The price is usually right and best of all the items are unique and not right out of Target or Walmart. Even when I have to buy something new, the used stuff blends very well and adds a nice look to the room. Heck, my wife brought home two 4 foot shop lights, new in the box. She grabbed them out of the trash!! Laugh all you want, but it's more money for flies, gear, etc.

6 - A while ago I bought two small lights, with built in magnifying glass. The glasas is large, but has a smaller diameter, stronger power and there's a lid that covers the glass when not in use. It was either a craft store like Joann Fabrics, or Harbour Freight. $19 on sale I believe. Orvis has the same light for $69.

Back