West Valley Creek

loveshack

loveshack

Has anybody fished west valley creek in the recent past. If so, how are the conditions, as I was thinking about heading up there this weekend.

fished west valley for about an hour today. didn't have a thermometer. water was a bit high, and a bit off color as well. i didn't see any riser, though that does not mean there weren't fish rising as i was only there for about an hour. also didn't get any bites. was using a black bugger, then switched to a hares ear.

Water Thursday was up to 53ºF. Just a little color to the water. A few very chubby brookies were rising to midges but I got them on a BWO emerger. I did see a couple of caddis,

brookies in west valley? i dont think so

Lots of brookies are stocked there. I used to fish it often and some days that was all I caught.

hmm thats weird i never have caught a brookie there, nor have any of my buddies who i know fish it pretty often

hunt - these chubby brookies were definitely from the hatchery. I'll have to ask WCFG&W if they came from the nursery several hundred feet away from where I caught them. Most of the time they raise browns and rainbows, and that is what I usually catch there. One year the VFTU put in Viebert boxes with cutthroat eggs, but I don't know if anyone ever saw one hatched out.

If you want to catch a W Valley brookie, PM me and I'll put you onto the spot, but there are probably others up and down through the creek right now.

There are wild brookies, and perhaps some natives, not too far from these chubby stockies.

Very interesting Les. I used to fish that stream a lot as a kid. Seems to have regressed a bit from the 90s but great to hear your take on the stream.

Also sent you a pm lestrout.

I was out helping the Fish Commish stock today. I ran into Mike Colley also, who runs the WCFGW nursery, and he was filling out the gaps that the state couldn't easily stock. His strategy this season is to put in brookies and rainbows now, and let the brownies fatten up for another month.

Back